49. Finding Peace

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

One week later, I was resting in my bed while Rachel was doing her homework next to me. Ever since I got discharged from the hospital two weeks ago, Rachel had been in charge of my medication and occasionally ordering me to take as many naps and rest as much as possible.

"I can't believe this! It's only one month left of school before we graduate and we still have homework!" She complained, exasperated.

"One month is still a long time," I informed, grinning. "And it's not even that hard."

"But math gives me a headache!" She whined.

Throwing my head back, I cracked an amused laugh. Suddenly, Rachel moved closer towards me and rested her head on my chest.

"Elliot?"she mumbled, her voice slightly muffled by the fabric of my shirt.

"Yeah?" I grinned, stroking her scalp.

"Can you do it for me?" She asked, sweetly.

"Oh, hell no!" I quickly pushed her off me. "I'm not doing your homework for you."

"But,-" she began with big, adorable puppy eyes that I had to fight the urge to fall for.

"No means no," I said, sternly.

Rachel groaned before scowling at me. "I hate you. You really are a human version of a headache."

"I know you love me. A lot," I said, grinning widely.

"Okay. That's technically true, but not so much during this moment," she muttered.

"What do you say I help you? I won't do  it for you, but I'll help you finish it," I suggested.

Just like that, her whole face lit up like a deer with headlights. "Really?"

Chuckling, I nodded.

"Okay let's do it," she said, cheerfully.

She helped me sit up and we both leaned our backs against the wall. Afterwards, Rachel grabbed her note book and her pencil while I placed her textbook in my lap.

"How do I solve this one?" She asked, placing her finger on an advanced algebra problem. 

"I taught you this! You solved this kind of problem during your exam. Don't you remember?"