46. Lies & Confessions

RACHEL

RACHEL

I woke up with my head throbbing, every bone immensely sore and the urge to vomit. An eerie atmosphere caught my attention and made me sit up in my bed. I was alone in my dorm. The silence felt different as if something had been removed from this room. Something important.

My mouth had a bitter taste. I only knew about one bitter taste. Vodka.

"Shit. Why?" I groaned, pulling my hair out of my loose bun and running my fingers through it.

I wasn't drunk last night. I didn't have that much vodka. It was hard to swallow it, but eventually as the demons awakened in my head, I eventually got numb to the taste.

After I put the drunk Elliot to bed yesterday morning, I tried to get some sleep myself, but I lost control of myself when the same nightmare I had in the playground occurred once more, pulling my strings.

By then, my mind and body lost control, sending me out of the school and to my house that had replaced me and my parents with another family. A happy and perfect family. I left after just standing in the garden where my mom used to water the roses everyday for a few minutes. Now the dead roses were replaced with lively daisies.

Somehow, I ended up stealing a bottle of vodka from a group of drunk teenagers who were too busy forgetting to note the disappearance of one of their alcohol bottles.

And then I lay sprawled in the center of the playground where the nightmare occurred for the first time. I cried and drank and cried and drank some more until it started raining and Elliot sat down in front of me. And then I poured out everything single thing I had kept bottled up inside of me. Everything.

Elliot must've been very angry at me. I needed to apologize. Despite everything, I didn't mean to hurt him. I shouldn't have poured out all the anger towards myself on him. He didn't deserve that. He really didn't.

I squeezed my eyes shut and shook my head. My bones were so sore that I ended up crawling towards the bathroom like a toddler. However, just when I lifted my hand to grab the doorknob, a familiar scent entered my nostrils. A scent I loved. The addicting scent of pizza and strawberry milkshakes.

I rapidly turned around, hoping to see Elliot standing across the room with a pizza and two glasses of milkshakes balanced in his hands, wearing his same old goofy smile. However, there was no Elliot. Just a hollow memory, a pizza and one glass of milkshake placed on my study desk.

Eyebrows furrowed, I crawled towards my study desk and pulled myself up on my chair. My gaze stopped on four things on my desk. A pizza, a glass of milkshake with extra whipped cream and a cherry on top, my favorite pen that Elliot had kept since he started tutoring me and a letter.