20. Someone To Hold On To

RACHEL

RACHEL

Two days later, history seemed to be oddly interesting. For the first time in 6 months I actually knew what Mr Louis was talking about in front of the class with a smile on his face.

Ever since the first day of high school, I had always noticed Mr Louis was always smiling and cheerful. How could someone be so happy?

I didn't want to be sad, but it was hard to be happy. Why was it so hard?

When Mr Louis asked a question that I actually knew the answer to, I briefly raised my hand.

"Yes, Rachel!" Mr Louis said, hurriedly.

While all heads turned around and everyone look at me with those astonished expressions, Elliot passed me a cheerful smile from the front row.

"Are you talking about the American dream?" I asked, gently.

"Yes, correct. Very good, Rachel," Mr Louis praised, politely.

We exchanged a nod before I offered Elliot a brief smile. Kind of weird, but every time I met Elliot's eyes, I couldn't help but think back to the day when he was crying in the boys locker room after nearly having a panic attack. I wondered what made him break down like that all of a sudden. What was he so scared of?

The rest of the hour flew by with me continuing to take interest in the American dream and pretty much every think else Mr Louis talked about.

When the bell rung and everyone rushed out of class and towards the cafeteria, Elliot left me behind with Skylar, knowing that I would never say yes to joining him to the cafeteria. And he was right. I couldn't go in there as the depressed princess. I just couldn't and I most certainly didn't want to. A part of me broke every time I saw Madelaine and Will. Something between sadness and anger tingled within my chest.

When all the students were gone, I grabbed my books and headed towards the door. However, something held be back. Something I wanted to tell Mr Louis.

So after exhaling a deep breath, I turned around and offered Mr Louis a polite smile. "Um...history was a lot fun today," I blurted out, unprepared for this conversation.

A surprised, yet pleased, Mr Louis looked up from his desk and met my gaze. When a big smile passed his face, relief bursts through me.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm also very proud of that A you accomplished on the test we recently had," he informed, taking off his glasses.

"Thank Elliot. He deserves most of the credit." I mumbled, fiddling with the hem of my maroon red blazer.

"And you deserve the other half. And I'm very proud of you," he praised, smiling.