26. Forgive & Forget

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

That next day, mom looked traumatized after I retold the story about what happened on the 1st September of 2017.

"So that's why she...," mom trailed off, her face pale.

We were currently at the hospital and mom was getting discharged in a half an hour. I took my hand in hers and nodded.

"Are you going to miss her?" She asked, gently.

Her green eyes were fixed on me. She had finally got out of the hospital gown and was back to her jeans and white sweater, her bandaged wrist hidden.

"Of course I will. She was one of a kind, because she combined a kind devil and a mean angel," I admitted, remembering back to all our memories together.

Mom smiled. I couldn't believe today was my last day at the boarding school. Mom was coming with me to help me pack and say goodbye to Rachel. I had a feeling Rachel hated goodbyes. I guess everyone did.

Our conversation was interrupted by a knock on the door before a nurse stepped inside with a soft smile across her face. The slim young woman with her blonde hair in a tight bun, walked over to us and offered mom an envelope.

"This is for you," she said.

Taking it, mom smiled, politely. "Thank you."

After the nurse left, mom opened the envelope and took out a letter, gently unfolding it.

"It's from your school," she said, confusion clouding her face.

Flustered, I sat still on the edge of the bed while mom with narrowed eyes read the letter.

"I have been offered a position as a teacher at your school?!" She exclaimed, shocked.

"What?" I stood up rapidly, completely stunned.

Mom was shocked as well while her voice was so shaky as she read the letter once more of disbelief.

"It's true. It's written right here," she whispered, tears brimming in her eyes.

"Mom". I sat down again and took the letter out of her hands, reading it twice. However, the words on the paper never changed.

Mom got a job...as a teacher....at the boarding school?

And then suddenly, mom squealed of happiness before she pulled me into a extremely joyful hug. I laughed and wrapped my arms around her.