39. His Wish

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

Two weeks later, I sat in the classroom, finishing my last chapter of a book we were assigned to read in English literature.

However, it was kind of hard to focus when a group of girls were excitingly talking about their dresses and dates to the school dance tomorrow evening.

I hated school dances. They were stupid. The fuss about buying dresses, tuxedoes, finding dates and dancing, it was all just a waste of time. People dramatically exaggerated over one stupid night. I'd rather stay in my dorm and read a book.

I swear if Rachel dragged me to it tomorrow, I would force her to study math all day and night.

Speaking of Rachel, my feelings for her were growing day by day and to my surprise, she seemed to happier day by day. Maybe, only maybe she would take her death wish back. I really hope she would. She didn't have to return my feelings. I could live with that. What I couldn't live with was going to the funeral of the only girl I had fallen in love with.

"That was the most boring book I've ever read," Will said, plopping down on the chair next to me.

"I think it was okay. Although the ending was just trash," Madelaine admitted, sitting down on the seat on my other side.

I glanced at her with a fake smile. "Thank you so much, Mads."

"Wait you're not finished with it yet?" She asked, brows raised of astonishment. When I didn't reply, both Madelaine and Will were deeply shocked.

"The Elliot Waters who always finishes his homework on time, the Elliot Waters who scores the highest on each and every test in every subject, the Elliot Waters who is adored by every teacher in this school, isn't finished reading a book we were assigned to read like four months ago?" Will asked, trying to look dramatically shocked with a hand on his chest.

"Okay! I get it, I get it," I muttered.

"So what happened?" Madelaine asked, looking at me inquiringly.

"I was going to finish it last week, but Rachel's math exam was today so we have literally been studying math nonstop every day," I replied.

"Anyway, what's up with you two? Why are you looking at me as if you want me to do something huge that I'll never agree on doing?" I asked.

"I need you to do a favor for us," Will said.

I glanced at them both one by one. "What kind of favor?"