seven

J.

Nas sat on the far end of the couch as we played each other in Madden. "This shit boring." I announced.

I have never been the madden type of guy. I like to watch football and play actual football, but I just can't get down with the video game.

"What do you suggest then?"

I shrugged. "This is why I sleep all day."

"Sleep all day, trap all night."

We high fived and laughed. "You already know."

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I sighed realizing it was my mother.

"Ma'am?" I answered.

"Shawn Corey."

I rolled my eyes. "Gloria-"

"Watch it, boy."

Nas laughed in the background and I turned the volume down and went in the kitchen.

"Is there something you need?" I asked politely.

"Your brother needs money."

"Ha!" I said obnoxiously. "Tell him to find a job then."

"Shawn. I'm serious. He needs help right now."

"I'm not an atm. Especially not for his ass. Call me back when Mickey or Annie needs money. Not his ugly ass."

"Watch your mouth."

"I'm serious, mom. He never did shit for me and just because I got a few dollars you want me to help him? Hell to the no."

"I'm not going to tell you to watch your mouth again. I will personally board a plane and knock you out. Play with me if you want to."

"I'm sorry. But that gets me mad tight. He can't even call me himself. He got you doing it for him."

"He didn't want to ask you, but I'm asking you to. Can you do it for me, Shawn?"

I sighed. "How much?"

"$2500."

"The hell?!"

"He's behind on his bills. He just needs a little help this month."

"Whatever. I'll send it to your account. You can give it to my dusty brother."

"Thank you so much!"

"Yeah, yeah."

"I really appreciate you helping your brother out."

"I bet. Ima call you later though."

"Alright. Love you, son."

"Love you too. Bye." I hung up and sighed.

"You look like an atm to me." Nas said holding his hand out. "Can I have some money too?"

I dug in my pocket and when I pulled my hand out I gave him the finger. "Bitch."

"I hate you." He said pushing me. "I'm leaving."

"I don't even remember inviting you. You just showed up."

"Whatever."

Nas left and I realized I hadn't spoken to Beyoncé that much. So I called her.

B.

Karim tossed some popcorn into the air and caught it in his mouth making me burst into a fit of laughter.