XXXI

J.

"Good morning, ma."

She smirked and rolled over. "Why you still here?"

"Don't play me like that, Beyoncé."

"I'm playing, come here."

I scooted towards her and laid my head on her chest. "How'd you sleep?" I asked rubbing her leg.

"I don't know. I'm hungry though, what's for breakfast-"

"Mommy! Mommy!" Blue said walking in since the door was cracked.

"Yes, baby?"

"I'm hungry. Hi, daddy. Morning."

"Good morning, princess." I helped her up on the bed. "What you want to eat?"

She shrugged and I shook my head. They start at a young age.

"How come girls never know what they want to eat?"

"Why do we always have to pick? Why can't men just say I'm picking you up and we're going to get tacos or something?" Bey mumbled.

I sighed. She always had something smart to say. "You want to go out to breakfast? On you."

"You said On you? Yeah, that's cool."

"Whatever."

"And I have to go to work tonight so I'll probably have Karim babysit Blue. He'll be mad, but he'll get over it. That also means you need to go home. You practically live here."

"Is that so wrong? And since when do you do the night shift?"

"Hardly ever, but I'm doing it tonight. It's nothing wrong with extra money." Bey got up and went into the bathroom to start her routine.

"Daddy?" Blue said tapping me.

"Yes, princess?"

"I go swimming?"

"Not today. Maybe on the weekend."

Blue got upset and started to whine. I simply ignored her. when she realized I wasn't fazed, she got louder. "Blue, baby. Relax."

"I wanna swim!"

"Maybe on the weekend." I repeated.

She fell back on the bed and threw a fit. Beyoncé came from the bathroom, grabbed Blue by her arm, and put her in the hallway. She shut and locked the door before continuing what she was doing.

I busted out laughing. "How you going to be that petty to your child?"

Bey shrugged. "It's too damn early for her to be acting like that. I don't want to hear it."

After she was finished in the bathroom, I handled my business.

We both stood in her full body mirror. She was putting earrings in and I was brushing my hair.

"You know, I should probably be getting rest since I'm working an overnight shift tonight." Bey mumbled. "I am going to regret this later.

"You sure will."

While she left to get Blue dressed. I took the time to check my phone.

My group message with the guys was blowing up for the first time in a long time.

I skimmed through the messages to see what they were on, but it was nothing heavy.

"Jay!" I heard from downstairs. I put my phone in my pocket and went down there.

"You driving." Bey told me as if I had no other choice.

"Karim don't want to go?"

"No he had plans or something."

I shrugged and we got into my car. I took us to Sqirl, this nice brunch restaurant on Virgil ave.

Blue, Bey, and I, ate and chilled for like an hour and a half before I took them home and went about my business for the day.

B.

I sipped on my coffee and prepared myself to be tired as hell all night working this late shift. I'm only doing this because one of my coworkers called out and I volunteered to cover her shift.

It was only 7:00, but I knew that by 10 I'd be dozing off.

I hung my jacket and purse up in my locker and made my way to the nurses station to see what needed to be done.

"Bey, can I talk to you for a minute?

I looked up at the fine man in front of me and smiled politely. "What's up, tre?"

We walked off to the side.

"I should be asking you that. I thought we was cool... what happened?"

"I've been busy... I tried to tell you, but you didn't want to listen."

"Tell me if you getting back with your baby father so I know if I'm wasting my time."

"I don't know."

"Do you want me to just leave you alone then? That's the energy that I'm reviving. You don't text back, don't answer calls, etc etc."

"Yeah, I'm sorry. Just leave me alone then."

He chuckled. "Wooow. Bet."

"Trevante, don't be mad. We can just be friends for now while I figure everything out. Do you though."

"Do me? Heard."

I watched him walk away and laughed to myself before shaking my head. I had a way with pissing niggas off.

I shrugged and continued on.

So many times throughout my shift I felt myself dozing off.

My phone buzzed catching my attention, I rolled my eyes at it being Trevante.

'Remember who had you like this.'

It was a naked picture of myself that I had never even seen before.

"What the fuck." I mumbled and sighed.

I'm grown as fuck. This 'exposing' thing is dead.

I didn't even respond to his message. I just deleted the thread and blocked his number.

I continued to watch the clock as the time moved so slow. Never again.

It's been so long since I worked an overnight shift. I am not in my 20s anymore, I'm too old for this.

Many hours that felt like years later, I was ready to clock out. The day shift nurses were coming in and I couldn't be happier.

Driving home was a task because I was trying not to die.

When I pulled up, I parked and got out.

I was so tired that I wasn't even picking my feet up. I made my way inside the house. It was still mad early, so everyone was still sleeping. Hopefully.

My shoes came off at the door. As I went up the stairs, I noticed my door was open.

I rolled my eyes preparing to share my bed with Blue.

"Jaaay." I groaned when I saw his big ass in my bed. He ignored me and I sucked my teeth. I got undressed and put my hair up before getting in the other side of the bed.

"Jayyyyyy."

"Hmm?" He responded with his eyes closed.

"Why are you in here? It's 7am in the morning."

He simply shrugged and continued to sleep.

I was too tired to fight with him, so I just rolled over and began to fall asleep.

Seconds later, felt Jay slide my body towards him and caress my stomach until I dozed off completely.