35

J.

"Wake up! Wake up!" I heard followed by bouncing around on the bed.

"Blue." I said with my eyes still closed because I just knew it was her. "Let me sleep."

"Mommy said to wake you up. Sooooo... WAKE UP!"

I sucked my teeth and groaned at my loud mouth child. "Why?"

"Because it's your birthday... duh."

"Okay. I'm up. Get out." I said turning over.

"Oh I forgot to tell you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY!"

"Thank you, lefty. Stop screaming. Please." I begged and got up to go to the bathroom. After I got myself together I slipped my Nike slides on and went downstairs to see my children sitting at the table eating breakfast.

"I see y'all got started without me."

"Daddy!" The twins yelled.

"Hi."

They continued to eat their pancakes while I looked for Bey.

She was in the kitchen flipping another batch of pancakes with her phone to her ear.

"Good morning, mommy." I said coming behind her putting my face in her neck. She took the last pancake off of the grill before turning around to hug me.

"Good morning, babe." She whispered.

"Okay, Karim. I love you too... Okay, bye." She hung up the phone.

"Happy birthday, old man!" She said poking at me.

"Aww thank you." I smiled. "What Karim say?"

"That he won't be here for his birthday."

"Damnnn..."

"It's okay though, I'll see him soon I guess."

I shook my head. She's hasn't coped well with Karim's absence at all. Even with her three other kids being here.

"Here. These pancakes are for you and it's bacon in the microwave."

"Thanks." I nodded and took half of the bacon before sitting down with the kids.

Eventually Bey came and sat down with us. "So I was hoping for my birthday you'd surprise me and tell me that you're pregnant or something."

She looked at me before rolling her eyes. "Shawn, I'm 39 years old. I'm not having another child. Ever. I'll probably be having grandkids soon. My grandkids and my kids don't need to be the same age."

"Fine! fine! I'm just saying though."

"And I'm just saying. I love you and my two year old kids. And my eight year old. And my twenty two year old. I'm out of the game."

"I know, babe. Chill." I said noticing I got her worked up just a tad.

"You chill."

We finished eating breakfast and Bey cleaned up after everyone. She started to do the dishes and I came to help.

"You don't need to help, it's your birthday."

"So?" I shrugged. "That doesn't mean I can't help your beautiful ass with the dishes."

"Stop." She blushed.

"Matter of fact... I'll finish up. Go get dressed. You and the kids. I have a surprise for y'all."

She looked confused, but still did as I said.