XXVIII

B.

"Hi, momma's baby." I cooed at my baby girl.

"Hi." She responded.

"You want some breakfast?"

She nodded her head and gave a tired yawn.

"Come on." I picked her up and let her lay her head on my shoulder.

Being a mom is the most important job I've ever had. I forgot how much I loved taking care of babies until I had Blue.

Karim has been independent and out of my hair for basically 6 years now. I missed babying someone.

Now I have a little girl to spoil until she's 12-13 and thinks she's too good for my love.

"Do me a favor and never grow up." I told her politely with a smile.

I sat her at the table and began searching through the fridge for something to make. There was a knock at the door causing me to roll my eyes. I already knew who it was. No one else in their right mind would show up to my door at 8:14am.

"Good morning, beautiful." Jay smiled as soon as I swung the door open. "I bought IHOP."

"What if I would've cooked already?"

"I know you better than you think. How about a thank you or a good morning, is that too much to ask?"

"Thank you. Good morning, Shawn."

"That's better."

He walked past me to go to the kitchen with the food.

"You need to get a job and stop coming here everyday. I'm so tired of seeing your face." I mumbled as I followed behind him.

"Daddy!" Blue squealed, reaching to be picked up.

He picked her up and gave her kisses. "Hi, babygirl. How are you?"

"Good. You good?"

"Yup."

I smiled at the two of them. But I was hungry. "What did you get me?"

"Now you want my food?" He smirked.

"Yes, what did you get me? Come on, I'm hungry."

"Say please."

I sucked my teeth. "Please."

"Now say please daddy."

I made a straight face and he laughed. "I'm playing with you. I got you a waffle and shit. Baby girl got pancakes. I got French toast. And ole boy got a sampler."

"Very sweet. Let me go get 'ole boy'" I laughed and went upstairs.

"Karim! Karim!"

"Hmm." He groaned.

"Breakfast."

"Okay."

"It's from Jay, make sure you say thank you." I warned.

"Yeah yeah."