twenty.

1/25/17

phil lester sat across from him, chewing on his lip. dan was completely silent, his hands clasped in his lap, his gaze downcast, almost as if it was practiced.

"wow," phil said softly after a moment with a little chuckle, trying to lighten the mood. "you're really good at being quiet."

dan shrugged, glancing up briefly. "i had to keep quiet a lot at home."

oh. nice going, asshole.

phil blushed, looking down at his hands. he heard dan sigh.

"i don't need you to be my therapist," he muttered finally. phil looked up again, meeting his eyes.

"i'm not trying to be your therapist."

dan crossed his arms. "yes, you are."

phil sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "i'm just... i'm not good at this, alright?"

dan's frown deepened. "good at what, exactly?"

he was clearly on the defense, and phil had no chance.

"nothing, dan. i didn't mean anything by that."

dan huffed, looking away again. suddenly intense deja vu washed over phil. christ.

"dan," he started again, slowly. "i just wanna help you."

phil watched dan's lip get caught between his teeth. "i don't need help."

phil scooted to the edge of the bed, as close as he could get to him without falling off. "yes, you do." he took his hands gently.

dan's eyes were fierce and he pulled them away. "no i don't."

phil stared at him in awe. "you passed out!"

"i'm tired."

"you're anorexic."

the room went completely silent. dan's gaze was icy and phil shivered a bit, sighing and rubbing at his face, pushing his glasses out of the way.

"i'm sorry."

dan stood up, his jaw tight. phil could tell he had moved too fast by the way he swayed a bit, but he started to the door unsteadily anyways.

"dan, wait..."

dan whirled on him. "what, phil?"

phil swallowed. it was clear dan felt like he had no control in this situation; yelling at him was the only way he felt like he could regain it. he stood as well.

if dan was on defense, phil would have to go on offense.

"look," he said softly, but his voice was firm. "the only reason you aren't at home right now, or in a hospital, is that you agreed to let me help you."

dan looked a bit surprised. "y-you wouldn't have done that to me," he said decisively, but his voice shook a bit. phil laughed a bit dryly.