twenty six.

2/20/17

phil lester picked him up at seven, as promised. dan was wearing a black sweatshirt that read buzzkill across the front in slanted pink letters, and black jeans. he looked very cute.

phil had just worn a navy blue t-shirt, jeans, and his letterman jacket. he felt extremely underdressed next to him, but he always felt like that near dan, no matter what he was wearing.

phil held out his arm as he had seen people do in the movies, and dan giggled, rolling his eyes. he took it, wrapping his arm around phil's.

"where are we going?"

"you'll see."

phil lead him out of the building and they walked across campus, the dewy drops on the grass dampening the cuffs of their jeans, but neither of them seemed to care.

"it isn't my birthday..."

"i know."

phil grinned. it was pretty cute how dan couldn't stand not knowing. "are you cold?"

dan blushed, biting his lip. "a little bit..."

phil smiled, slinging off the letterman jacket that had his last name stitched over the shoulder and back. he tried to help dan get it on, but dan only held it over his shoulders like a blanket, tugging it around himself. phil grinned; it was far too large for him and made him look even smaller than he was.

"this is so cliché," dan mumbled, his cheeks stained pink. phil chuckled.

"nothing wrong with a little cliché."

phil lead him around the buildings to the theater, and he could almost feel dan's eyes widening behind him. he took his hand.

they pushed through the doors to the hallway leading to the huge auditorium space, dan's eyes searching for anything out of place. as soon as he noticed something he gasped, his hand going to cover his mouth, dropping phil's. phil's grin widened.

"like it?"

the hallway tiles were lined with little candles, and all the other lights were off. it was meant to represent the little lights on the row of a movie theater.

"what did you do?" dan asked softly, meeting phil's eyes. phil just smiled.

"you're about to find out."

he took his hand again, tugging him down the hall and through the doors to the theater. dan gasped again, stumbling a bit when phil pulled him while his eyes were focused elsewhere.

"katie's in theater," he mumbled. "she got this set up. i just... helped a little."

dan didn't speak, his eyes traveling over the set up.

phil had convinced liam to lend him his projector, and the huge white cloth screen that was used to play movies on.

katie and liam had helped him set it up on the stage facing all the seats, and katie had gotten permission from the drama teacher to use the area, as no one else was going to. phil had to admit, it looked pretty impressive.