Chapter 34

~~~~~~~~~~~Samantha~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I entered the office and noticed everyone's head turn towards me. They all were muttering among themselves, their eyes still on me. I felt as if I had just stepped out naked on the street and everyone is wondering what is wrong with me. I immediately turned around and entered the washroom. I checked myself in the mirror. Everything looked fine, my dress, my hair, my make up, everything. Then why were they staring at me like this. Something was not right and I had to find out soon. I took a deep breath and came out and once again everyone's eyes turned towards me. This was awkward. Not fairytale costume turned bad awkward, but you altogether forgot to dress awkward. Avoiding everyone I moved straight to my bay and sat down at my desk.

I turned on my laptop and started checking the mails when Christine came unannounced, patting on my back giving me the shock of my life.
"Woah! Sorry I didn't mean to startle you", she said putting her hands up in surrender gesture.

"Oh no, that's fine. I... I was just a little lost in my thoughts", I said.

"Thoughts of... Ummmm.....let me guess, Mr. Oliver Taylor?"

"What?", I said not looking at her, tugging a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Oh Sam, now stop pretending. Everyone knows that you and our arrogant boss are having a scene".

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you are a couple, aren't you?"

"Well... Sort of. You can say that", I said in a low voice.

"I can say that. Really? It's in all the tabloids. Here check this out", she said handling out the latest addition of 'hello' to me.

My photo, with Oliver's arm around me, protecting me from all the paparazzi, at his birthday party was on the front page, with a tagline, 'Another fling of Mr. Billionaire, or the beginning of a serious affair'.

"Shit. What the hell!", I flickered the pages panicking. There was a whole three page story about Oliver's affair with me. They even had all the information about my childhood and to my surprise my mom's latest photo, with a description Mrs. Ryan still leading a hard life unaware of daughter's ongoing affair with the billionaire. How irresponsible!

I pity these journalist who need to get to such demeaning level to earn their bread. I was furious and panicked at the same time. Now I was regretting my decision to go at Oliver's birthday party even more than before.

"So, can you explain to me what is going on between you two?" I was so lost in my own thoughts that I almost forgot about Christine.

"It's nothing", I said in a voice so low that even I couldn't hear it.

"Really! That's great. That means Oliver is not involved with you and I still have a chance. I'll ask him today itself", she said in an exciting tone.

"No, you can't. Er ..I mean, I ...", I hesitated.

"So, you are with Oliver. That is great Sam. You don't have to hide it from anyone. Especially not from me. I am happy for you."

"You are?" I asked.

"You didn't really think that I was going to propose him, did you?", She rolled eyes at me. Although for a second I really thought so.

"But this is too soon. I mean we just started going out and it's already a big news", I said putting the magazine back on the desk.

"Sam, you are dating the most eligible bachelor in New York city. What less could you expect. I'll suggest you to enjoy all the attention, all the paparazzi".