Chapter 54

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Oliver~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where do you think are you going?" I said grabbing her wrist.

"Away from you", she said trying to free herself. But I pulled her closer to me embracing her between my arms  and looking into her eyes I said, "don't you dare try to run away from me now Sam."

She tried pushing me but I had held her tight and she finally gave up after a little struggle. "Uff, so are you going to hold me forever".

"Yes, forever and ever" I said breathing into her neck.

She looked into my eyes with fury and then pushed me hard. I didn't want to irritate her further so I let go.

"Sam, I think it would be better if we stay closer to the beach. It would be easier for them to spot us there", I said picking up a broken stick from the ground.

She gave me a small nod, just enough to prove that her agreement didn't mean that she is now fond of me. It brought a little smile on my face to see her stubbornness.

"What? Why are you laughing?" She asked.

"Nothing. You wait for me at the shore. I'll try to collect some sticks for fire" I said.

"I'll help", she said picking up a stick from the ground.

I looked at her face and smiled again, "alright".

It was not a hard task to collect a bunch of sticks in that thick forest. We came back to the shore after a while.

"Sam, you sit here, while I try and get something to eat?"

"Do you have a restaurant chain in the forest as well?" She said sarcastically.

"I bet you wouldn't have complained if I had a restaurant here", I said picking up my jacket. "I'll try and catch some fish for the dinner", I said and picking up sharp twig left.

Catching a fish with empty stomach and twisted twig was not an easy at all. I had been standing in the muddy water since last two hours with no luck.

"Why don't you give up already? It's not a job for a silver spoon fed, spoked brat", Sam yelled at me.

I rolled my eyes and tried concentrating on my job.

Looking at me struggle and getting frustrated she got up and came straight towards me.

"Give that to me", she said entering the water.

"Haah Gosh this water is freezing", she complained.

"Now who seems spoiled!" I muttered.

Pretending she didn't hear my comment, she snatched the twig from my hand. "Let me try it".

I stood next to her, watch her struggle to catch the fish.

"Damn, they are fast", she said at her ninth attempt.

Both of us were exhausted and hungry. Just when we were about to give up, Sam's twig pierced one of the fishes.

"Holy cow, don't let this one go" Sam screamed.

"Careful. Hold the stick up. Quickly" I said giving her a hand as we both ran out of water with the stick.

Just when both of us were sure that we were far enough from the water, just in case the fish decides to jump back in it, we looked at each other and screamed with joy. And the next moment Sam hugged me and chuckling with joy she said, "I told you I can do it".

I didn't reply. Actually, I couldn't reply. My heart had stopped the moment she hugged me. For the first time after so long, she gave me a hug, with a smile on her face.

But before I could cherish this special moment for a little longer, she realised that she was too close to the man whom she probably hates the most in the world and moved back.
What have I done! Please forgive me Sam. My heart cried out loud.

**********

"Where did you learn to make fire?" Sam asked surprised to see me make fire with things picked up from the jungle.

"I used to go for mountain scouting when I was in college" I said putting some more sticks into the fire.

"It's getting dark and cold, why don't you come and sit a bit closer to the fire?" I asked her, patting at the spot next to me.

"No, I am fine here", Miss Stubborn was still not ready to give up the fight.

"Fine , I am going to sleep now. Just in case you feel colder, you can come and sleep here" I said turning my face to the other side.

Although I pretended to be fast asleep, but I could hardly sleep thinking about her being so near me and yet so far. I had tried every way to convince her, but nothing was really working.

Just when I was getting a little drowsy, I heard her footsteps. I closed my eyes immediately. She came near me and as it felt, I think she waved over my face just to make sure that I was asleep. I didn't move an inch. Then very carefully she slid next to me and curled up into my very own precious doll. Although her face was on the opposite side but I could sense that she was thinking, thinking about us. Her hair were brushing on my fave with the little breeze that was blowing, making me crazy.
I wanted to hold her, cuddle her, kiss her. It was hard not to touch her, love her when she was so close to me. But I couldn't. I now knew that she needed time. Time to forgive me, time to rekindle the love that she had for me.

Watching her sleeping peacefully was enough to make me forget a the pain I had gone through in last three months. Thinking about the good times we had spent together I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

*********

Loud chattering of the helicopter woke me up. It was early morning, and I could hear a chopper's noise nearby. I was about to get up, when I realized that Sam was sleeping with her arm around me and her head rested on my  shoulder, and I couldn't move anymore. I then just wanted that helicopter to shoo away and stop making that noise. I wanted some more time with her. Just a little more time.

But that helicopter kept hovering over us until it woke Sam up. She stood up as soon her eyes fell on the chopper and she jumped with joy.

"Yeah we are saved" she chuckled.

I should have been happy to see that rescue chopper, but I was not. Probably, because that meant that Sam will again be just my business partner's assistant when we get back to New York.

The chopper landed at a clean spot a few feet away from us. And I was surprised to see Mr. Richmond getting down from it. Before I could say or do anything I saw him run straight towards Sam and embrace her in a tight hug.
"Oh Sam, thank God you are alright. I was so worried" he said never letting her go.

My inner jealous boyfriend couldn't handle this overly friendly gesture of Samantha's new boss and I interrupted them, "Mr. Richmond" I said giving my hand for a handshake.

I squeezed his hand a bit too hard when he shook his hand with me. "Ehum, Mr. Taylor. Good to see you fine too" he said getting a bit uncomfortable.

"How did you find us?" Sam asked him.

"Oh, the designer said that the boat was missing and the door was locked, and then that thunderstorm, so we just connected all the missing links", he said putting his arms around Sam's shoulder casually. She didn't seem to mind that either.

Ignoring both of them, I moved ahead and sat in the chopper, buckling myself up tightly, in a hope that this would somehow help in sealing up all my emotions inside. But I was failing, I was failing hard. I wanted to kick Jacob's butt right now.

As I saw both of them enter the chopper with his coat hanging over her shoulders, I moved my face in the opposite direction, to avoid them from seeing my red eyes.

################################