chapter four

I didn’t mix with those type of people, I’m not supposed to mix with these type of people, there’s a rule, you keep to your side. There’s the popular’s, the junkies, and then me, the ones who just don’t fit in with the rest, the nerds if you like.

“Dan, I can’t go.” I fretted, I wasn’t sure why, out of all people I called Danielle, I suppose she knows more about this stuff, everybody likes her, she’ll hang around with everyone, one day she’ll be sitting at my brother’s table, and the next she’ll be asking Zayn or Harry if they have a cigarette. I sometimes wonder how she keeps it all up, keeping everyone happy, I couldn’t do it.

“You can, come on Soph, Harry is like, he’s beautiful, we all know that, and your brothers going, it’s a huge event, I promise I won’t leave your side!” Danielle begged as I pondered, wandering around my room aimlessly, she did have a point, I’d have her and my brother. It was one night out of my life, there was nothing that could go wrong. I sighed before answering Danielle, knowing she wouldn’t even notice my elongated silence due to the fact she was more than likely hurrying around her room.

“What are you wearing then?” I huffed, examining my own, bare wardrobe, I had clothes, but nothing overly interesting. Danielle instructed me on the do’s and don’ts on how to ‘successfully dress’ for a party, all of which I paid absolutely no attention to. After I agreed to meet Danielle outside the party at six, I chucked my phone on my bed and attempted to get ready.

“No way are you coming tonight.” Matt piped, pacing the length of his room as I sat on the edge of his bed, This wasn’t fair, he couldn’t just determine whether I went to a party or not.

“Matthew, I was invited, therefore I am going.” I articulated, being truthful, I’d talked myself up enough to get the confidence to go, and I wasn’t going to have my older brother shut me down this far.

“Sophie, it isn’t your type of party.” He moaned, throwing a tantrum, he was trying to make out that he was worried about me, but in reality he just didn’t want his sister showing up to one of his parties, which to be honest, I could understand. I crossed my arms over my chest stating that I was not going to lose this fight, Matt looked dumbstruck for a second, not knowing what to say next, that was until the glimmer of light flashed in his eyes, and an evil smirk overtook his face.

“Let’s see what mum and dad has to say about you going to a party full of drunks.” Before I could protest, Matt was the down the stairs calling out my mother’s name.

I ran down after him, finding my mother staring at me whilst my brother carried on telling her all sorts of things about this stupid party, that may I add was obviously not true.

“Mum, it’s not what Matty’s said at all, he’s only saying it so I won’t embarrass him, come on mum!” I said as she sat at the kitchen table, staring at me with pursed lips and raised eyebrows. She looked me up and down, taking in my outfit, and then slowly began to nod, as Matthew, and my eyes widened.

“Matthew will take you there and home?” She asked, diverting her eyes back to her newspaper, I hummed a ‘yes’ as I shot a look to Matt.

“You’ll be home before twelve. No drinking, No smoking, No dancing with any boys, No kissing, No nothing.” My mum laid out the rules as if she was reading from a long list, I agreed to all of them for the sake of being allowed to go.

She finally shooed us both out the house, and I climbed in to Matthews car, as he grumbled curses under his breath.

“Why are you even going? There’s no point. Who would even invite you?” He scoffed, cranking up his music as I stared out the window moodily.