chapter ten

"Louis, I told you, I have that detention today, I can't go." I surmised as Louis angrily took a bite of his sandwich. He had asked, well more like begged me to go in to town with him today to buy some stuff for the trip he was going on in the weekend.

"I still can't get over it. You. Sophie Winters has a detention, brilliant." Liam laughed, marvelling over the fact that I had a detention- one I didn't deserve either.

"Yeah thanks Liam." I remarked as he laughed further, completely making fun of my good girl persona. "At least I don't act like a lost dog when Danielle isn't in school." I added telling the truth, Danielle had been ill, and all day Liam had been moping about, completely lost without his girlfriend, I suppose in some ways it was cute, the way he adored her so, but not for me, to have someone so dependent on you, it's scary, like taking care of someone, careful not to let them fall.

...

I really didn't belong with these people. Maybe I shouldn't have sat at the front, the back would have been better, I'd have been less of a target, less noticeable, maybe if I was quick I could still move, but was there space at the back? I was too scared to look behind me, these weren't people id ever spoken to before, in fact usually I'd go out of my way to avoid them, and I knew I was something like fresh meat to them, a clean girl with no record.

As Niall strolled through the door just after the teacher had I felt relief wash over me, at the hopes that I wouldn't be alone. We hadn't really spoken since he shouted at me whilst I was tutoring him, he had tried to speak to me, but gave up a few days ago, when I kept ignoring him, I wasn't going to stand for it. But today was different, it was like I needed him right now, as much as I despised him, at least he was someone familiar.

I think he saw this look of worry in my eyes as he went to walk to the back of the class because he stopped and looked back at me, deciding on where to sit and eventually sighed, sitting on the seat next to me, slowly unrecognisably shaking his head as he let out a quiet laugh. I mouthed the words thank you to him as the teacher began to talk.

"You'll be here for one hour. No talking, no laughing, no writing; nothing. Enjoy boys." The teacher I hadn't had before spoke in monotone, I think he knew there were actually quite a few girls in the detention, but I don't suppose he cared either. He sat down and pulled out a magazine from the drawer of the table, which he then read for the next hour and a bit.

"Uh, sir?" I said, timidly raising my hand, as I felt Nialls eyes, and more than likely the rest of the rooms' turn on me. The teacher looked up from his glasses focusing on me as he raised his eye brows, keeping them raised. "We've been here for an hour and 15 minutes now, the detention was only an hour." I muttered, trying to get out of the detention that right now seemed endless. I heard one kid from behind me scoff at my statement as another joined them. Niall eyes remained steadily on me as I felt him staring me down.

"Do I look like I give a damn Winters?" The teacher asked, I wasn't sure of how he knew my name, and was a bit disgruntled by the fact. I was even more annoyed at his attitude, no way should he be speaking to a student like that, it was rude and unprofessional. And yet, despite all the things I was thinking in my head, I simply nodded and directed my eyesight to the desk below me, screwing my hands in to a ball in my lap.

...

"An hour and a half we were in there for! An hour and a half!" i angrily stated as Niall and I walked down the road to my house. He chuckled, as he had done for the past half an hour, of which I had spent complaining about the detention.

I didn't know how I'd ended up walking home with Niall, pretty much the same as always, I was still mad at him. I was. I just enjoyed the company I suppose, when we were on our own, we did have fun, and it was like old times, so I can't be blamed for wanting that, even if he was a complete dick when we were around either of our friends.