chapter thirty

He was serious. He genuinely hated me for something I hadn’t even done, and wasn’t going to do.

“Morning.” I mumbled as I walked in to the dining room the following morning, 8:30 on a Saturday morning, ridiculous. My father was sat at the opposite end, chatting away to someone on the phone. As my mother walked past she glanced at my father tutting loudly so that he would notice.

“Here you go sweetheart.” She smiled tightly, pushing a plate of food in front of me.

“Thank you.” I smiled as she nodded quickly. She then walked out, calling loudly for my brother at the bottom of the stairs before returning and sitting on the seat next to my fathers, tucking a napkin on her clothes. I still didn’t understand how she was dressed, with her hair and makeup perfect this early in the morning.

Matthew came down a few minutes later, sitting down on the chair next to me, shifting it away so he could distance himself. I looked at him briefly as he completely ignored my existence.

The table was uncomfortably quiet after my father put the phone down, the only noise to be heard was the clang of forks against the plates as we ate the food my mother had made.

“Mum did you hear?” My brother spoke, taking away the silence with something even worse- gossip about innocent people.

“What’s that honey?” my mother replied with a warm smile.

“Niall Horan, has another girl.” My eyes widened as he glanced over to me with a dirty look before turning back to my mother. “Yeah one of the girls in school, she’s turned in to a complete, well I think we know.” My brother laughed as my fork that I held dropped to the plate beneath me. the tables attention turned to me as I stared openly at my brother.

“I pity her.” My mother snorted, my father remained quiet, steadily staring at me from across the table.

“Maybe he’s different with her.” I defended the girl, what was I saying, I was defending myself.

“If she thinks that then she’s an idiot.” My brother laughed, snapping at me.

“Language darling.” My mother hushed as I glared at him.

“I’m going to get ready.” I sighed leaving the table and ascending the stairs.

“Are you okay?” Louis whispered as his arm which was linked with mine pulled me closer to him so that he could whisper. I looked up from the ground nodding unconvincingly as Louis rose his eye brows.

“I’ll tell you later, its about my brother, and Niall.” I whispered back as Louis looked at the people around him nodding.

“How did you cope with that literature exam then Soph?” Liam asked leaning forward to see me as we walked through town.

“it wasn’t as bad as I had expected.” I smiled as Liam nodded agreeing, Danielle pulled him back towards her, moving his arm around her as she nuzzled in to him.

I liked the town on days like this, it was late October and cold, yet the sun was out, creating a weird sort of light, and if you put that with the old town’s architecture, with the mis-shaped and sized stones on the ground, it looks like something out of an old romantic movie, starring Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe.

I would have liked to have known their stories, not the media’s version, but their versions, whom they really loved, who they had to let go, I want to know their secrets, what they had to hide from the rest of the world with a smile.

Suddenly Louis’ elbow coming in to contact with my side brought me from my thoughts, I came to a halt as I looked at him confused.

“What?” I huffed angrily as he cocked his head past me. Danielle and Liam had stopped too by this point following Louis’ stare.