chapter seven

"Sophie darling, you aren't wearing that? Are you?" My mother pondered as I descended the stairs in my blue dress with the flower pattern, I rolled my eyes nodding as my mother tutted. "Attitude Sophie. I laid out another outfit for you on my bed, why don't you change in to that instead." My mother pushed, shooing me up the stairs like a nasty smell.

Obediently I got changed in to the horror of the outfit my mother had set out for me, a black top with a nasty blue denim skirt, and a yellow cardigan, that I will not wear in public. I didn't even want to go to this lunch thing, now I know what Maura was talking about.

My parents, and Nialls were those embarrassing couples who belonged to country clubs and sucked up to their bosses' big time, that's what living in surrey will do to you I suppose. It's like the suburban America, only British.

"Wow Matt nice vest." I laughed taking in the mustard vest my mother had obviously planned for him to wear, he scowled at me, shoving me with his elbow as we walked down the stairs trying our best to smile for my mother who was standing at the foot of the stairs awaiting our arrival, whilst my father was standing by the door, checking his watch every ten seconds.

"Best behaviour today then?" My mother asked, as we both hummed in acceptance, she nodded her head once before making an squeak with her throat and pulling my father out the front door leaving us to follow and fight for the which seat to take in the car.

"Now kids, you aren't to embarrass me today, stay quiet and eat your lunch, the country club won't take any nonsense, and neither will I. Am I clear?" My father spoke to us as if we were unruly three year olds destined to make trouble. He was worried about us embarrassing him when he was the one wearing a salmon pink polo shirt with blue overly priced chinos, I think it was fair to say he was already embarrassing us.

...

"Right, come on then, biggest smiles." My mother said as she linked my arm with hers and then hers with my fathers, the big pristine white gates lay a few feet ahead of us, the words already making me cringe.

"Gatton Manor- Dorking Country Club"

I did not belong here.

And yet somehow, I fitted in perfectly with the perfectly dressed and primped men and women, chattering to themselves. It was like everyone had colour coordinated their outfits, yellows matched pinks, which matched blues, and greens, all shallow colours, nothing vibrant, unlike my brothers vest. Or my cardigan, although it seemed my parents fitted in pretty perfectly.

"Elizabeth! Over here!" Maura cooed from a table filled with people, sitting with their backs perfecting straight and flutes of champagne with strawberries on the rim placed delicately in their hands.

"Maura, hello dear." My mother hugged her, as my father and Bobby, shook hands taking a seat on the edge of the table, already deep in conversation. "Sophie sweetie, you look so pretty in that little outfit!" Maura chuckled rubbing the fabric of my cardigan between her finger and thumb, I smiled politely as I took a seat in an empty chair whilst the two women disappeared in to the crowd.

"Soph, I'll see you later, I'm going to sit at Caitlin's table." My brother tapped my shoulder before, too, leaving me. I wasn't even aware Caitlin would be here, although it does seem plausible.

So there I sat on a table with people who thought they were out of my league, awkwardly twiddling my fingers and twisting the stupid yellow button on my cardigan, which I swore I wouldn't wear.

"Champagne?" I heard a voice behind me offer, could they not tell I wasn't eighteen, I hardly looked it, and the way my hair was plaited, I doubt I even looked sixteen.