chapter thirty three

"Where have you been?" My mother squawked through from the kitchen as soon as I opened the front door. I rolled my eyes, mentally preparing myself for the lecture that I was about to receive.

My mother marched in to the hall way wearing her heels and tight red dress, and oven gloves. Not stopping until she was standing in front of me with a stern angry look bracing her close to perfect face.

"Well?" She pushed looking me up and down, I was struggling to stand still without looking suspicious, I had my legs crossed in a way that made it look like I desperately needed the to use the toilet.

"What mother?" Frustration was evident in my voice and I knew I was pushing many boundaries.

"You look a state, where have you been?" She reiterated tugging at my baggy t-shirt as she made a disgusted sound.

"Nowhere." I muttered beginning to walk towards the stairs as she cleared her throat obnoxiously, causing me to turn back around.

"I've been at Nialls! Happy?" I said sarcastically as her eyes widened, I had a good mind to tell her what I had done at Niall's house, but I don't think I was ready to witness my mother have a heart attack just yet.

"You were where?" She asked as if she had misheard me.

"Over at Nialls. Hanging out with Niall." I said nonchalantly. "You know Niall mother. My friend? Niall?" I said his name as many times as I could fit in to a sentence, not only to irritate her but it also soothed me in a strange way to hear his name.

"Joseph!" My mother's voice rang through my ears again as my father trudged out in to the hall way looking irritated at my mother, as my brother followed behind.

"Joseph, Guess where your daughter has been?" My mother laughed as my father glanced to me raising an eyebrow causing a laugh to escape my mouth.

"I honestly don't know." My father sighed, clearly just as fed up of my mother right now as I was.

"Well Sophie, why don't you tell him?" My mother asked turning on her heels towards me, placing a hand on her hip.

"I've been at Niall's house." I sighed, desperately wishing my brother wasn't here to hear this and make assumptions which would be correct.

"Nice lad Niall." My father laughed. "She can have other friends other than that Louis, let her be Elizabeth." My father lectured smiling at me before walking past me and up the stairs, disappearing in to his study.

"I'm going to give that boy a piece of my mind when I next see him, you wait and see." My mother pointed towards me before storming back in to the kitchen, returning to her cooking.

I looked to my brother who was already staring steadily at me.

"I wanted you to prove me wrong." He said quietly as I nervously moved my hands in front of me. "But you proved me right." He sighed running a hand through his hair.

"You don't even know what happened!" I tried defending myself as he just scoffed shaking his head, he took a few strides forward until he was on the step below me looking at me. Even beneath me, my brother was still a good few inches taller than me.

"It's obvious. Nobody comes home with their hair looking like that, shuffling as they walk and their skin like that. Its obvious." He said slowly staring me in the eye.

"What happened to the sister who had goals?"

"She's here, and she's still got them." I fought back as he rolled his eyes. "But she's also got Niall Horan, so don't cross me Matthew." I threatened, unsure of whether I had done the right thing. Despite the fact my brother and I fight a lot, I love my brother, a lot, more than most siblings do, we're twins, it's like a tether connecting us.