chapter eighty eight

I sat beside Niall, for what I think was the first time ever at one of the country club meetings. a monthly thing held in the church hall where the club just had a talk and gave out notices. We didn't have to go when we were younger but now we were verging on 18, we were expected to go as part of the club.

Our hands were touching ever so slightly by the side of the chairs as I leaned in to Nialls side, bored out of my mind as Im sure he was too.

"The annual Gatton ball will be held on the 21st of August and members of the club are expected to attend with another member, there will be the acceptance of the younger members in to the club, with the yearly line up" The man on the small makeshift stage gabbles on as I close my eyes, leaning against Niall. I'd never been to the ball before, simply because I'd been to young but I knew far too much about the 'line up'

You're officially a member of the country club when you get to the age of 18, so members, unfortunately like me, had to line up with the other sorry people and accept their badge and therefore, membership in to the club.

Except, I didn't want to be a member, but I didn't think I had a choice. It was as if the whole ordeal was inherited from child to child. My grandparents made my parents join, who made me join who supposedly will one day make my own children attend. I hated the idea of it, traditions like this deserved a change.

It was piled up in the car afterwards, as I sat pushed up against Matthew, drawing shapes in the steamy window that my mother decided to bring up the ball.

"So we'll have to kit you both out in something for the ball." My mother said, driving home as I opened my eyes and looked at her shaking my head. My brother seemed totally un-phased by it as I sat begging her not to make me go.

"I don't want to go, you know I hate stuff like this." I whined as my mother laughed, turning down our road.

"But you'll have Niall with you, and its mandatory, to become a member of the club." She explained as we got out of the car and walked inside. I didn't want to tell how that I didn't want to become a member because my mother thrived off of this sort of thing. The thought of family tradition, even in the most simplest form, and extravagance, dressing up and dancing the night away. I didn't dare disappoint her.

...

"Of course I'm not going" Niall scoffed, lounging lazily in the sun in the park as I sat beside him frowning.

"But what am I supposed to do then? I have to go." I frowned, pulling at the dry grass as Niall chuckled, still laying, nonchalantly on the grass beside me.

"No you don't." He chuckled as I sighed and shook my head. He didn't seem to understand that I actually did.

"So what? You're just going to refuse to go? Make me go on my own?" I asked frustrated, huffing as I crossed my arms over my chest causing Niall to open one eyes and chuckle.

"I'll get you out of it." He mumbled as I rolled my eyes, knowing he wouldn't be able to, and annoyed at the fact he didn't seem to care in the slightest.

"And what if you cant get me out of it? Then will you come?" I asked as Niall laughed and sat up pulling me in to his lap and kissing my lips as I sat there annoyed, refusing to give in to him.

"You're cute when you're angry." He teased, pecking my lips again as I hugged, my arms crossed tightly over my chest. "You don't need to worry, I'll get you out of it." He reassured, setting me beside him and standing up, helping me to my feet as I sighed.

Although I hated the idea of this traditional dance and everything it seemed to stand for, I couldn't help but think how magical it would be to go to a dance with Niall, dressed prettily and seeing Niall in a suit, having him dance and smile all evening. It would have been nice.

But I suppose that all good things are unrealistic.