chapter fifty six

The heat of the bonfire was radiating on my back as I sat on the edge of the wooden dock, looking out at the calm water in front of me. I gripped on to the edge as if I were about to fall off, I felt unsteady and weak, I would never have been able to imagine the effect Niall had on me. Ripping me to shreds near enough just by turning up with his arm around another girl.

I couldn't think about anything anymore. I didn't want to think about the way Harry had his arm around me, or the way Niall stared, so vulnerably and hurt. All the thoughts hurt my head, sent shakes through my body, I needed to escape.

I didn't know how or why I was doing it, all I knew was my hands slowly pushing my body off the edge of the dock, how cold the water felt as it touched my toes, my feet sinking down in to the water as it lapped around my ankles, then my knees, my thighs, until the hem of my dress was wet.

I closed my eyes, listening to the crackle of the bonfire, feet away from me, melt in to the sound of the waves and distant chatter of the crowd, I just wanted to feel the water against me.

I was ready to let the water immerse me, to float amongst the waves, let them drown my thoughts and problems. I so desperately wanted to feel the cold water hit my skin, I craved it.

But just as my hands let go of the edge of the dock and I began to fall, two arms hooked around me, pulling, dragging me back up on to land.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He yelled, I didn't open my eyes, I just lay on the ground, shaking, holding my hands over my chest as the tears compensated for the relief of the water.

He knelt down next to me, yanking me up from the ground as he wrapped his coat around my shoulders, yelling at me, trying to get a reaction.

"What so you're just going to drown yourself?" He yelled, his hands firmly on my shoulders. I wasn't trying to drown myself, I just desperately wanted to feel the water envelope me, to feel some sort of relief.

I opened my eyes, sitting up and staring at Niall shaking my head, he looked so confused and hurt as I brought my knee up to my chest.

"Why would I kill myself? Because you brought a girl?" I laughed hiding my face in my knees, I didn't want him to see me like this, I didn't want him to know how weak he could make me. "I don't care about that whatsoever" I mumbled, lying to both Niall, and myself.

Niall took me by surprise when he touched my arm, pulling it away from my knees as I looked up at him.

"You should care." He mumbled, I had to strain to hear him over the bonfire. "because the only reason I brought her, was in hopes you would see." I widened my eyes at him. he pulled a childish stunt in order to make me jealous?

"That's disgusting" I spat as Niall removed his touch from my arm looking confusedly at me. "Not only have you hurt me in doing this, unbelievably hurt me, but you've lead on that poor girl?" I shouted pointing behind me as Niall started shaking his head trying to recover his steps.

"She knew Sophie! I just wanted you to.. I don't even know I was stupid okay!" Niall argued sitting down beside me as he stressfully ran his fingers through his hair. "But you didn't have to show up with Harry of all people! I'm pretty sure you didn't do that for my sake, you moved on quick enough didn't you?" Niall fought, waving his hand in the air as I watched him.

"I didn't go with Harry Niall, we went as friends." I explained quietly. "I didn't even know why he was putting his arm around me and acting like that." I mumbled staring out at the water. "You think I can just move on? You practically cheat on me, and expect me to move on?"

Niall sighed, shrugging as he stared in the same direction as me. "I'll fucking kill Harry, for touching you, pulling shit like that." Niall spat as I remained silent, Harry shouldn't have done that, he knew I was vulnerable and in some sense, took advantage of that.

But nonetheless I shook my head starting to stand up. "I cant sit here and pretend like everything's okay Niall" I sighed shakily standing up before Nialls hand wrapped around my arm, forcefully pulling me down, as I landed in his lap, wincing from the fall.

"Then don't pretend." Niall whispered glancing from my lips to my eyes before biting his own lip nervously.

"You hurt me Niall." I whispered avoiding his stare as I look down at our laps.

"And if you let me, I swear I wont ever do it again" Niall put his thumb under my chin, directing my eyes back to his as he looked at me desperately.

"But how do I know if I can trust you again, like we had so mu-"

I began before Niall pushed his lips against mine, his hand moved to the back of my head as I instantly sunk in to him, running my fingers through his hair as one of his hands cupped my cheek, kissing me ever so softly, but with such passion and longing.

I pulled away as he pushed his forehead against mine. I forgot what I was going to say, all the lectures and words I had in my mouth melted as I stared in to his eyes, lit up by the light of the bonfire, flames dancing as I breathed out.

"Niall" I said slowly as he smiled.

"Please don't say anything." He whispered, I nodded, eagerly pushing my lips back on to his as I felt him smile the instant we connected. His tongue swiped along my lip sending shivers through my body.

The heat radiating off of the bonfire only mixed with the heat produced by Niall and i. the connection that had been separated for two weeks was back and stronger than ever.

I had almost forgot how weak his kiss made me, how his touch made me quiver, every look, word, smile made me fall all over again, made me fall back under his enchanting spell.

"I love you so much sophie" Niall mumbled pulling away from the kiss as I whimpered slightly. His thumb caressed my cheek as Niall stared in to my eyes, as if savouring the moment, taking a mental picture.

"Please don't hurt me again Niall." I whimpered as Niall shook his head pulling my face closer to his.

"Never Sophie-May"