chapter fifty five

"Obviously its not a date, but I don't know I just feel like this is a bad idea" I whisper over the phone to Louis. He'd called me earlier out of the blue, no question, and just started talking, like old times and conversations had turned in to the bonfire tonight.

Louis was going himself, with a date, apparently some girl that's goes to his church, Ellie or something, either way he had babbled on about that for an hour before asking if I were going, to which I told him Harry had invited me as a friend.

"Sophie you should go, you're single aren't you, you've been broken up with ben for what? A month now?" Louis asked on speakerphone as I pulled a dress on, looking at it in the mirror.

Louis didn't seem to understand, or he did but was choosing to ignore the fact it was Niall I was worried about, not Ben.

"Niall, Louis, not Ben, I don't even know if Niall and I have actually broken up" I sighed, I think we had broken up, I told him I was done, and we hadn't discussed it any further.

"Were you and Niall even dating?" Louis said cautiously.

"You know better than anyone Louis that we were." I mumbled picking up my phone and walking over to my mirror sitting on the floor and emptying the contents of my makeup bag on to my carpet. "Louis, I'll see you tonight, I have to get ready." I muttered before shutting my phone off and putting my makeup on.

...

It was ten past seven when there was a knock at the door, causing me to shoot down the stairs before my mother or anyone else could get it. My brother was going with Caitlin but not until later, so I almost yelled when he beat me to the door, smugly smiling at me before opening it and raising his eyebrows, dropping them back down quickly in a way of a hello to Harry. Harry copied Matthews actions before turning to me and grinning.

"You look pretty" Harry smiled eyeing my outfit up and down before grinning back up at me. "told you tonight would do you some good" He added before reaching forward and grabbing my hand, causing me to widen my eyes as he dragged me out the door and down to his car.

Harry didn't let go of my hand until he reached his car and opened the passenger door for me.

...

As we approached the dock and Harry got out the car, opening my door for me, he took my hand in his again as I glanced down nervously before he noticed.

"friendly." He laughed nudging me with his shoulder as I smiled half-heartedly up at him. I knew he meant the gesture in a friendly, non-romantic way, but I couldn't help but feel weird, it was a given I suppose.

Harry walked through with me, dodging past various couples seated around the docks as he sat on the ground close to the bonfire, patting the space next to him.

Id kept a look out for Louis, I wanted to see the girl he was bringing, but no matter how many times I scoped the area, I couldn't find him. I had spotted my brother, and Liam and Danielle were here too.

Harry had encountered his group of friends, walking over to us and saying hello before informing Harry they were going to sit at the back and drink, leaving us alone once again.

It was 10pm when Harry pointed out Louis and called him over for me, something Niall would never have done.

The first thing I noticed as Louis and the girl approached us was the fact the girl was wearing Louis' jacket and also a shy grin.

Louis introduced us as he sat down next to me. the girl was called Eleanor, and actually went to the same school as Ben.

She seemed nice enough, although quiet, clearly shy, she balanced out Louis. You could tell he enjoyed her company as he sat with his arm around her for most of the night.

"So, um have you seen Niall tonight?" Louis asked leaning over to me as Harry shook his head as I copied.

"No, why?" I was suspicious of Louis's sudden interest, but it all became clear when he gulped pointing over to the left.

I instantly saw him and felt sick to the stomach. His hair floppy over his face, a thick grey coat hung loosely off him as he had his arm slung around a girl, wearing high heels and a beige dress, which influenced her auburn hair to burn bright against the light of the bonfire as she giggled along to whatever Niall was saying.

I wanted to get out, make an escape as quickly as I could, but I knew I was stuck when Nialls eyes widened, locking with mine.

Within seconds he was in front of us, glaring at Harry as I reached for Louis' hand. The girl Niall was with looked around obliviously.

"You- uh, you two are here together?" Niall said through gritted teeth as Harry nodded coolly before wrapping his arm around me pulling my body in to his causing Niall to glance at me vulnerably.

"Well uh" Niall mumbled seemingly lost for words as Louis spoke up.

"Why don't you sit with us? The place is pretty full" I shot round glaring at Louis as he shrugged slightly at me before I turned back to Niall watching him glance at me before nodding and purposely squeezing in between Louis and I.

The tension was awful, horrible. You could feel it in the air, Harry, Louis, me, Niall, we all felt the exact same way, and it was hell.

"Are you cold?" Harry asked me attempting to break the tension as he pulled me even closer in to his embrace, I wasn't used to such public displays of affection, even from Niall, and Harry and I weren't even on a date. He was no doubt doing it purely to piss Niall off.

"No im fine thanks" I smiled back sitting up a bit as I brought my knees up to my chest watching the dancing flames of the bonfire.

I wasn't fine, I mean, I wasn't cold, but I was by no means fine. I was inches away from Niall, sitting next to him, I wanted to cry, I wanted to break down in to a million pieces. He came here with a girl, a girl who was so much prettier than me, probably more experienced than me .

Had he really moved on that quickly? Was two weeks all it took to forget about everything, every word that was shared, every touch, every kiss? Was that all forgotten, drowned in a sea of memories?

I could hear chatter surrounding me, I could hear Louis' voice as he spoke to me over Niall and his new girlfriend, I could feel Harry gently shaking my arm and everyone else in our small group staring at me as I looked in to the flames of the bonfire, stuck in hypnotizing daze.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled looking around at the group, they were all staring at me, even Niall. I shook my head and stood up walking away as quickly as I could, disappearing to the other side of the bonfire.

I could hear my name being called as I closed my eyes collapsing down on the edge of the dock, the water lapping beneath my feet.