chapter fifty one

“Just come to this one with me, please?” Niall sighed as we sat on either side of our fences in our back gardens. My mother had somewhat forbidden me to leave the house in hope it would keep me away from Niall. But as Niall said last week, when my mother found out we were dating, all her attempts to keep him away would fail, so now here we were, sitting with our backs to each other, separated by one thin fence as we spent the day invisibly talking to one another.

“I told you im never setting foot in another one of those parties, let alone Caitlin’s.” I whispered leaning my head back, Niall knew about my feeling towards Caitlin and claimed he felt the same way, but a party to Niall, was in deed a party, and a must.

“We wont even see Caitlin, its just another party, and this time you wont be alone, because I’ll be there with you the whole night.” I doubted id even be able to go, even if I wanted to, which I didn’t, but my mother had kept me like Rapunzel all week, only being allowed out for school, which was ridiculous because I spent my time there with Niall.

“I’m not going Niall.” I said sternly.

I don’t know how I ended up here out of all places. I distinctly remember saying no, saying I would not step foot at another party.

And yet here I was, the pushover I am, standing in the middle of Caitlin’s living room, awkwardly next to Niall as he spoke what seemed like a continuous conversation with someone who supposedly went to our school, in our year, but I didn’t recognise him, and like everyone else here, he didn’t know me.

Niall had kept true to his word and stuck by me for the hour and a half we’d been here, but in that time I had grown increasingly thirsty, so I slipped away from Niall and attempted to find my way to the kitchen.

The kitchen was a bad idea, the first person I saw, perched on the edge of a counter, was Caitlin with her long blonde hair flowing over her shoulders and her lips pouted as she batted her eyelashes at a boy with black hair that stood in a quiff.

It was only as I neared closer to her that I recognised who she was talking, or flirting with, it was Zayn, one of Niall’s friends who I had met that time after Niall and I were sent to the heads in history. The closer I got the more that I noticed.

For example, when I took a step closer, I noticed how Zayn’s hand was on Caitlin’s thigh, and with another few steps I noticed how Caitlin’s foot kept rubbing against Zayn’s leg as she bit the tip of her finger.

Caitlin stopped when she saw me staring at her, pushing herself off the counter revealing just how short her white dress really was. She shimmied towards me as she smiled widely, something I don’t think she had ever done to me before.

“Sophie” Caitlin smiled widely as she tilted her head causing me to raise an eyebrow. “That dress is so.. its so pretty” Caitlin took the material between her fingers admiring it before looking back up at me and smiling, again.

“Caitlin..?” I asked stepping back from her, I was more than used to this girl insulting and threatening me, and now she stood before me complimenting my dress?

“Is your brother here? He said he wasn’t coming tonight, did he bring you here?” She asked quietly as it all became clear, she didn’t think my brother was coming so was therefore safe to flirt with other people, despite being the girlfriend of Matthew.

“No he’s back at home, we-were you flirting with Zayn?” I straightened my back attempting to look as confident as I could in front of Caitlin as I saw her sigh and shrug, suddenly returning to her normal self.

“I might have been, it doesn’t really concern you though, does it?” She asked viciously, as if she suddenly had every bit of power in the world.

“Well you are dating my brother.” I needed to appear stronger than I felt, if not for myself, then for Matthew, I knew he really liked Caitlin, and she was here flirting with Zayn, not that I blame him, he probably doesn’t know Caitlin has a boyfriend, and if he does, then Caitlin more than likely as him under her spell like she seems to have the rest of the school under.

“Yes, but you did come to my party uninvited, so if you do tell your brother, I can tell everyone much worse things about you” Caitlin smirked as she stared me down, knowing, once again she’d won this fight. “Thought so.”  Caitlin mumbled smugly before turning around and sitting back on the counter as Zayn turned to me raising an eyebrow before smiling. I smiled back.

I ran my fingers through my hair as I sighed walking back through the house looking for Niall, but before I could find him I bumped in to Harry, walking around aimlessly much like myself.

Harry smiled widely when he saw me, hugging me and saying hello, he didn’t seem as drunk as he usually was at parties, which was a relief.

“Have you seen Niall?” I asked, shouting above the music as Harry glanced around him shrugging before apologizing.

“Haven’t seen him for about fifteen minutes sorry babe” Harry yelled in order for me to here as I smiled thanking him before disappearing again I wanted to find Niall and tell him I was leaving, I knew I didn’t want to come here, and I should have stuck to my word.

After searching the entire ground floor for Niall, I climbed the stairs, looking around for him. I stumbled across a few drunk lovers, expressing their blurred thoughts in dark room.

But it was upon opening the third door in the corridor that I felt my heart drop from my body, and land somewhere beneath me.

The room I had exposed myself wasn’t dark, the lights were on making the whole situation worse, as my eyes became glued to the blonde boy pinned against the wall with a bleach blonde girl pushing her body against him, her hands roaming over every area of his.

“Niall?” I found myself croaking out as they both looked in my direction, Niall’s eyes widened as he pushed Chloe away from him and stepped forward, frozen in the middle of the room, much like me.