chapter seventy three

I didn't know what had happened. What had happened to me, or my family, my relationships, school life.

Everything had gone downhill all at once, tumbling down toward me standing at the bottom of the hill.

I'd tried to ignore Niall every time I saw him, which was difficult, because if I didn't bump in to him in the morning, I would without a doubt see him in school. He would stare at me, in class, in the corridor, at lunch.

And when he looked at me, my heart broke, there was no resentment or anger in his eyes, there was sorrow and wanting, but he wouldn't come near me, nor would I him. we were both torturing ourselves.

But everything had gotten worse, my grades had become virtually non-existent, I'm suffering silently, I've broken away from my friends, avoiding everyone at every possible cost.

And what was the point? There was no point, but the thought of having to go on everyday like everything was normal, tore me apart.

...

Harry caught up with me as I walked down the corridor solemnly. I felt his hand wrap around my forearm, slowing me down.

"Ah, so I found my skipping partner" He smiled big and bright as I smiled up at him, the smile was nowhere near genuine.

"Is it that hard to find me?" I asked quietly as Harry scrunched his nose up and shook his head. I'd never realised before that Harry skipped class so much. But as I had now started doing the same, I'd come to meet up with Harry and just wander the corridors, talking quietly about anything.

"What's the plan for today them Miss?" Harry laughed, a twinkle prominent in his eyes as I shrugged. He was the enthusiastic one. He knew what I'd been through, with Niall, and my parents; everyone did. Gossip spreads fast when your brother is the source i reminded myself constantly. But even though every time Niall saw Harry and I, I could see a piece of him break, Harry had been there for me, he hadn't called me a fuck up or anything of the sort, and for the few hours a day where I could walk around the halls with him, I felt better, I felt almost whole again.

I shrugged, being about as helpless as I could, causing a sigh to escape from Harrys mouth as he nodded, realising it was up to him to come up with something, once again.

We walked through the numerous empty corridors, peering in to classrooms full of people that I was once like.

We walked past another class, history. The first thing I saw was Mr Tumults, and even from here I could hear him yelling at a student who was invisible to me because of the door blocking my view.

"Useless, waste of a boy, you do no work, you don't know what you're talking about, you're cocky and useless" he yelled. Mr Tumults was known for being harsh, but these words were awful, if it had been me he was yelling at I would have been in chokes of tears.

But it was then I realised that I should have been in history right now, being taught by mr Tumult. This caused a set of nerves to course me as the thought that Mr Tumults' victim might be Niall

I shouldn't care.

He hurt me and we hadn't spoken in god knows how long. I knew how long. So why should I be worried or nervous for him? Because I loved him.

*NIALLS POV*

I fucking warned him not to push me.

He was calling me cocky and a fucking waste? Had he seen himself? Had he dragged his sorry shell of a body to the mirror and looked at himself? With his fucking brown trousers pulled up to his chest, and his white shirt, stained with this mornings breakfast hung loosely off of his shoulder. Why was he fucking digging at me when he was himself?

This is why Sophie isn't with me anymore. That's what I told myself every time I fucked up, every time I got myself in to situations like the one I was in now. I fucked up. I got myself in to this mess and I was standing here criticising a guy I don't know anything about. That's why she left, you fucked up when you said that thing to her, and she left, she'd had enough.

You fucked up.

"Are you even listening?" Mr Tumult laughed sarcastically, as the rest of the class watched their free entertainment. "Of course you're not! You're too ignorant! Just get out of my class, you're wasting my time!" He yelled, the veins in his neck close to popping as I snatched my bag from the chair and walked out.

My face was red with humiliation, and the last thing I needed to see was Harry, smiling cockily at me as I exited the class. Leaning against the lockers, arms crossed over his chest as he chewed on a piece of gum. I fucking wish Mr Tumult would come out and 'give him a piece of his mind'

Standing a few steps in front of Harry, making my heart plummet, was Sophie. Fucking beautiful Sophie, an unrecognizable expression on her face as she looked almost sorry for me? Her eyebrows knitted together in concern as she took a weary step towards me.

For a second, I thought she was going to console me, hug me and hold me. I think she thought the same, but just as it was about to happen Harry stepped forward and pulled Sophie away.

"Come on" Was all he whispered as she stared at me, so lost and vulnerable, breaking my heart as she fell under Harrys spell and he pulled her away, stalking down the corridor.

What fucking killed me most, was the fact he turned around, and smirked, a smirk meant just for me, to throw it in my face that he had won. He'd never show that side to Sophie, he'd keep it hidden, keeping his snide comments and looks for private affairs.

Sophie was being led on by harrys charm, and I know that I was no good for her, but neither was he. Neither was he.

*SOPHIES POV*

Walking away from Niall sent my heart shattering in to a million pieces all over again, he was hurt and I turned my back on him, allowed Harry to pull me away.

I felt awful. Niall didn't deserve that. I was still in love with him. of course I was still in love with him. I don't even think we had broken up, officially.

Or had we? Had we? I cant remember saying the actual words but perhaps the fight was the break up, perhaps the bit where Niall gave up and walked away, was him breaking up with me.

This wasn't just one of Niall and I's fights was it? We had actually broken up.

"Sophie?" Harry mumbled pulling me away from my thoughts as I glanced up at him and hummed absentmindedly. "Are you okay?" he asked as I stared back at the corridor ahead of me.

What a stupid question. was I okay? Had he meant right at this very moment, or overall, with my parents apart and Niall and I apart and the world falling apart? Was I okay?

"im fine."