chapter sixty seven

I wasn't sure how my brother had succeeded in convincing my parents to visit my aunt for new years, leaving him and me alone for the weekend. I wasn't even sure how he brought the subject up, or the fact how he managed to make her believe that he'd be fine at home and 'spend a quiet new years eve with his sister'

Quiet new years eve my ass.

It was 9pm, I was wearing a black dress with my hair down and far too much makeup on, and there were people turning up at my house every minute. People who went to my school, people who did not, people who I don't even think went to school whatsoever.

Within half an hour the living room was filled with smoke and drunks. Our house had turned in to one of the many I'd been forced to visit during a party, except this one was twice as loud and three times as busy because of the occasion.

I had told Niall my brother was having a party, whether he was here or not was beyond my knowledge. I also invited my own friends, so that I wouldn't feel completely alone in my own home. Liam and Danielle were here, I'd seen them earlier, each with a drink in their hands, both red cheeked and giggly. Louis had said he'd make an appearance with his girlfriend, whether he'd see me through on that I was unsure.

I sat at the top of the stairs, against the wall as various people stumbled past me, laughing, shouting, some even crying. I'd seen a few people go in and out of my brothers room, I didn't dare to think about what they were doing. I was just glad I had locked my own room.

"Sophie! Sophie Sophie!" I smiled up at Zayn and Rhiannon as they stood above me, both swaying slightly, with plastic cups grasped firmly in their hands. "I like your house, it's a good house" Zayn chuckled as Rhiannon rolled her eyes.

"We're going to pierce Chloe's nose again, her last one closed up" Rhiannon pouted holding up a needle that looked far from clean as I gagged at the thought. "Do you want to come? We could pierce yours!" She grinned as I shook my head quickly, I was still waiting to get my ears pierced, let alone my nose. Rhiannon pouted again childishly before shrugging and grabbing Zayn's wrist, tugging him in to my fathers study.

The thought of anyone being in my fathers study was not a nice thought, that was his private place, where he'd spend most of his time, he resented my brother and I using it, so I highly doubt he would appreciate a group of drunk teenagers piercing each other's body parts in there.

I walked back downstairs in to the crowd, fighting my way through to the kitchen, which was just as crowded as the rest of the house. I sighed pushing through and pouring myself a glass of water, gripping to the glass as someone pushed in to me.

I wasn't even sure why my brother had wanted to host a party, its no fun, you just have to clean up in the morning and make sure nothing gets broken. That's what I cared about, I doubt my brother felt the same right now.

I groaned mentally when I saw the state of the living room, there was a large red stain on the sofa and other various stains on the floor. My parents would be back Monday and there was no way my brother was going to guilt me in to cleaning up for him.

...

I looked at the clock as it read ten to midnight. Ten more minutes until this year disappeared in to history, and I don't think one person had realised. Everybody was unbelievably drunk and I was so far out of my comfort zone, I was terrified. I didn't know when the party would end, I'd never stayed at any party this long, not Zayn's nor Caitlin's, but I suppose I didn't really have an escape from this one as it was our own house.

"10 minutes!" A loud slurred voice yelled as I furrowed my eyebrows spotting my brother standing on the cabinet yelling. I rolled my eyes and walked to the corner of the room, feeling alone in your own house was ridiculous. This was my party- well it was my Matthews but that shouldn't make a difference.

"You got a kiss for midnight?" A man slurred standing in front of me as I stopped slouching, standing straight to make myself look tall.

"No, and I don't want one either." I said. I wanted to sound confident, but instead my voice was shaky. I didn't know why I did this, around strangers, act completely small and obsolete when I wasn't. just because this man was drunk I acted like he was going to pull something, which he very likely wouldn't. I needed to stop being so terrified of the people around me.

"You sure? Because im looking for a lady to kiss and take home" He mumbled scratching the back of his neck before hooking an arm around my waist, to which I pulled straight back off and shook my head.

"Im sure."

I stepped away from him, looking around for someone I knew that I could stay with so he didn't come after me again. But as I should have expected I couldn't see anyone, and as I looked behind me, the drunk was still staring at me, except his eyes weren't focused on my face.

I shouldn't have been confined to my bedroom on new years eve. But here I was, hiding from a group of drunk and loud people, my door locked and my curtains closed as I sat by my window reading the copy of peter pan Niall had given me.

I had wondered where Niall was. He did say he would come. Maybe he'd forgotten. Or been offered something better and gone there instead.

Either way I built up the confidence to call him. he answered on the second ring.

"Where are you?" I mumbled as he picked up the phone, I could hear the tv in the background which led me to believe he had ditched me to stay at home.

"My parents have trapped me. it being New Years Eve and all" he sounded utterly pissed off as he spoke to me, and when he had finished speaking I heard his mother yell at him in the background as he groaned. I shouldn't have laughed, but I really couldn't resist.

"How is the party anyway?" Niall asked after having an argument with his mother, with me listening and giggling on the other end of the phone. I explained to Niall how I had locked myself in my room and was refusing to leave because of the man and the fact everyone but me was either drugged or drunk.

Niall went silent on his end of the phone, to the point where I had to check whether he was still there. When I did check, he didn't answer and after a few seconds the call had ended. Although I was disappointed, given the fact Midnight was in three minutes, which signalled the fact I'd be spending New Years alone, I understood. It was the sort of time everyone around the world attempted to ring their loved ones, the lines got jammed.

At two minutes to midnight, I heard a bashing at my door which made me jump. I didn't want to see who it was. It was either the drunk man or a couple attempting to find an empty room.

I sat rigidly on my bed as the knocking continued before I heard a familiar voice which made me relax completely as I rushed to my bedroom door and opened it, smiling widely at Niall, in a black jumper and loose grey jogging bottoms, telling me he didn't have any intention of coming out at all tonight, which made me even happier because he let people see him in clothes he'd normally never been seen dead in, for me.

Niall stepped in and closed my bedroom door, locking it before smiling softly at me.

"One minute till midnight, you're just on time Mr Horan" I teased as he rolled his eyes laughing.

"Im nothing if not prompt Miss Winters" he joked back, stopping when the chanting downstairs started.

10, 9, 8,

Each second the chanting got louder as I glanced up at Niall, who rose his eyebrows before dropping them again quickly and pulled me closer to him, his hand instinctively resting on my cheek.

7, 6, 5

The excitement and general buzz surround the air was apparent, as Niall's thumb carefully caressed my cheek. I drowned out the chanting from downstairs as Nialls voice took over, his gentle whisper counting down the last few seconds of this year.