chapter forty

"Soph?" I woke up to two hands on either of my shoulders gently shaking me awake. I allowed one of my eyes to open to see my brother standing above me, shirtless, with nothing but his boxers on, which, for his sister, was not a sight that I wished to see first thing in the morning.

I stretched my hand out until it touched his chest, allowing me to shove him backwards as he laughed at my grumpiness.

"What do you want?" I grunted pushing my body over so my face was smothered by the pillow beneath me.

"Mum wanted to me to wake you up, we're going for Brunch at the Horans?" My eyes widened as I could sense Matthews smile hidden behind his voice. I swivelled back around sitting back up in my bed.

"What?"

"Brunch with your boyfriend." Matthew smirked as I looked around to find something to throw at my brother.

"He's not my boyfriend." I sighed pushing a hand against my head, my forehead was warm and soft, too warm.

"Might as well be, with all those sappy 'I love yous' last night." My eyes widened again as I reached behind me, grabbing my pillow and tossing it at Matthew who dodged the flying object with ease.

"Well, we're going around at 12, its like 10 now so." Without even finishing his sentence, my brother disappeared from my room, I smiled, knowing that we were back on good, normal terms.

I checked my phone, it was quarter to eleven, not even close to the time my brother had given me. I groaned as I swung my legs over the side of my bed, getting up and stumbling in to the empty bathroom, turning the dial on the shower, and letting the warm water run over my hand as steam started to accumulate in the small room.

...

I picked out a last minute outfit, to save myself from unnecessary stress. I wore a blue, denim material skirt with a black vest top that I intended to tuck in.

I glared at my reflection in the mirror, the water from the shower had caused my hair to turn frizzy and curly, so my hair fell in unruly loose curls that I despised. But as my mother called my name up the stairs, for the fourth time since I had gotten out of the shower, I knew I had no time to do anything to my hair or face, but apply a bit of mascara and put on my biggest smile.

"Sophie, do you not think you could hurry up?" My mother shouted, followed by several annoyed tuts, the Horans literally lived next door to us, not two footsteps from our front door, and yet my mother was terrified of being late.

I rolled my eyes as I descended the stairs, greeted by my picture perfect family, the happily married couple, in the vest and trousers, and the red dress and tight curls; the showcase son, with the impressive skills, and social king, and then there was me who fitted in just on the end as the daughter most people would forget existed, but the one that mother would boast about on any occasion, although I could hardly see anything to boast about.

"Well what took you so long?" My mother sighed, eyeing my outfit up and down disapprovingly.

"I was getting ready?" I said back crossing my arms over my chest.

"Well considering how long you took, I'd have thought you'd at least put on something acceptable." She rolled her eyes as my brother stifled a laugh.

"I think she looks fine, beautiful young lady." I smiled at my fathers compliment as he winked, shoving his hand in to his pocket. He opened the door and took the short steps to Nialls front door, followed by my brother.

But before I could escape, my mother forced a large, knitted black cardigan in to my arms, glaring at me as I unwillingly forced the horrid thing on to my shoulders.