Accidental Partners in Crime

(A/N: This one's kinda short but fun fact: I've been literally planning this since the beginning. It was maybe the third idea I've had for this collection and boy am I glad to have finally finished it. Hope you enjoy and I apologize if it seems rushed.

(B/W) : Black or White

(F/F) : Favorite Flavor lol)

A grin slipped onto my pale pink lips. My (B/W) gloved hands held tightly onto the small piece of paper in my hand. I took in a deep breath, relaxing my grip on it.

"Next," a gruff voice called out again, this time focused on my petite form. I smoothed my lips into a pleasant, inviting smile and took a step forward. I slipped the paper into the big man's awaiting palm.

He studied it for a bit, turning it over in calloused hands. After a more-than-thorough inspection, he shoved it onto the tray next to him, along with a pile of other identical papers. The bald man held out his hand again, this time for my purse. I blinked.

"Oh, would you mind if I moved some of my feminine products to a safer part of my bag?" I asked sheepishly. He rolled his eyes and nodded, his eyes never leaving me. I dug into my bag and slipped a couple of tools I had brought into my gloves.

I handed over the bag. After searching through it as well, though not as thoroughly this time, he handed it back, allowing me to slip them back inside.

"Welcome. Have a nice time," he grunted begrudgingly. Looks like someone was eager to catch me. Or anyone, for that matter.

"I will, thank you." I smiled again before walking confidently through the grand, open doors.

The shimmer of the room was astoundingly bright. My eyelids rapidly blinked to grow accustomed to it. The eye makeup I donned was already starting to itch. I resisted the urge to rub my eyes and continued walking into the chamber. Wading through masked people, my eyes darted around, searching for it. After a fruitless search, I felt my shoulders sag. Ugh, where'd she hide it?

"Oof!" I mumbled, having bumped into someone. I looked up, meeting the gaze of another guest. A white mask covered most of his features, leaving me to stare into grey eyes. I smiled apologetically. "Sorry about that, I'm ever so clumsy," I hurriedly excused myself and pushed past him.

Warm fingers wrapped around my wrist. "Completely fine, but must you leave so soon?" a soft voice asked.

I raised a brow, a smirk tugging at my lips as I turned to face him again. "My, I didn't expect to catch any eyes so soon. Sorry, but I need to meet someone," I came up with an excuse. He's cute but I've got work to do.

He chuckled, his eyes softening, "I know a "no" when I hear it." he lowered my arm, his hand travelling down to my own, "I won't push a lady." he bent his head down, lighting brushing his feathery lips across my knuckles. The comforting warmth that held my hand abruptly left when he dropped it and turned, disappearing into the crowd.

I giggled to myself. What a charmer. I shook my head, letting my hair tickle my body.

A staircase to the right of me snagged my attention. I hurriedly glanced around at the rest of the guests and nodded, answering my own silent question. Best to not get distracted again. In the far reaches of my mind, I heard a reproachful voice mutter, "I'm sure he'll find a nice girl by the end of the night." I hushed it and calmly climbed the stairs, my tight black dress following my movements.

Upon reaching the top, a loud ringing resounded throughout the room. I panicked, thinking it was an alarm, but a hush fell over the room, silencing those thoughts. My eyes were drawn to the movement of the bodies below turning to face the front. I too, turned, seeing the host standing at the front, a glass and fork in hand. I sighed, releasing the tension within me and silently laughing at how jumpy I was. The woman at the front smiled broadly at the guests below her. She set down the utensils and clasped her hands together across her front.