Tired

(A/N: this one's another request and it was a really creative idea but i did not do it justice ack
Also oh man i've got like four requests in the wings so expect updates!

Request by xsweetbutpsycho)

Something was... off.

Akira stared intently at his girlfriend, (Y/N), a far-off look on his face. Her face, on the other hand, was blank. It was usually so bubbly and animated.

Thus, something was off.

Akira frowned, tilting his head as he stared. I wish she would just tell me what's wrong. It had been going on for a while now. She had been more and more reclusive lately, the things she said shortened to one-word responses and she didn't smile anymore. He was worried. He opened his mouth. It was silly to beat around the bush like this.

Just when he was about to ask, she cut him off. "Well, I gotta get to class now." she spoke quietly. Her voice was raspy, like she hadn't used it very recently. She cleared her throat lightly and pushed up from their lunch bench, throwing away her wrappers. She grabbed her bag and hoisted it over her shoulder, her eyes glued to the concrete. She turned to walk away without saying anything else. No goodbye? That certainly wasn't like her, but it had been happening more often.

He sighed. "(Y/N)?" He pushed himself up from his seat.

She paused in her walk. There was a second where he didn't even think she would turn around. But she did. Her tired eyes met his. "Yeah?" she prompted. She sounded exhausted.

"If there was something wrong, you'd tell me, right?"

Something broke in her expression. That blank exterior cracked and underneath was something else he wasn't allowed to see. She forced a smile and nodded to him, before turning away again. There was notable haste in her walk this time. Akira sighed again.

~ le time skip brought to you by no sleep ~

Akira raked a hand through his hair, waiting on the roof of the school for his team to meet him. He fiddled with the phone in his hands, turning it over and over. Why wasn't she telling him what was wrong? They told each other everything. She even knew about the whole Phantom Thief thing. There was nothing they hid from each other.

So what could be so bad? What could be so awful that she couldn't even speak to him anymore?

His team eventually filtered in through the door, confused looks on their faces. "What's up?" Ryuji asked, a smile on his face.

He shrugged. "Hey, guys. Sorry for getting you together out of the blue, but I'm worried about (Y/N)."

"Maybe she has a palace." Ryuji interrupted, his smile growing. "Awesome! Finally, some more action. I was getting kinda sick of Mementos-" Ann elbowed Ryuji in the side. "OW! What was that for?!"

Ann cleared her throat and gave Akira an apologetic look. "Sorry about that, Akira. What he meant was: What's wrong?"

Akira shook his head. "No, no... Ryuji might be right," Ryuji fist-pumped. "for once." Ryuji donned a look of betrayal. Akira ignored him and pulled out his phone. "(Y/N) (L/N), uh," he paused to look at the others. They just shrugged. "Shujin Academy?" he guessed.

"What about-"

"Palace located. (Y/N) (L/N). Hospital. Shujin Academy." Akira blinked. He didn't expect there to genuinely be a palace. He couldn't exactly ignore the tug of guilt at the pit of his stomach. He should've been there for her. What kind of a Phantom Thief would let this happen to someone close to them? The world warped around them as they entered the Metaverse.