Lady Luck

(A/N: Yoooooo guess who tf is backkkkkk I'm finally bringing my chapters back to their usual length. I think the average should be like 2500 words?

(C/C) = Clothing Choice

(W/C) = Weapon of Choice)

I pushed all of my tokens onto the black 8 space, following my gut. I laid back in my chair, folding my hands together. "After this, I'm afraid I should go." I smiled serenely. Starting fights wasn't in my best interests.

"I swear, if you win another cent I'll..." the man two spots to my right growled, throwing his cigarette to the woman beside him. She wrinkled her nose at him, shoving the thing into the trash, following the other two.

"Now, now, Jared, we mustn't lose our temper. I'm sure Lady Luck will be on your side this time." I reassured him, knowing full well that he'd be going home unsatisfied, again.

The ball rolled around and around, skittering over the tiles. The people around me held their breath.

As predicted, it landed squarely on the 8. I collected my total tokens and stood up. "Hm, guess I was wrong about you, friend. Sorry, it doesn't happen often. Me, being wrong." my smile broadened, watching his fist tighten, his beady eyes still trained on the wheel.

Before he could do anything he'd regret, I skipped away to cash in my winnings.

This was routine for me. I wasn't old enough to work for Lala-chan, my guardian (knowing my actual age, she wouldn't let me serve alcohol and wanted me to get a real job), but I looked old enough to do this. The fake ID didn't hurt, though.

Gambling was something I believed I was practically made for. Since birth, I had an insane amount of luck on my side. Things always turned out in my favor. Of course, no one was to know about this unflattering hobby of mine--something Lala-chan enjoyed reminding me of every five seconds. That didn't stop me from making bets with my peers at school.

Unfortunately, my school didn't like what I was doing with other kids. Not to mention I'd won enough to anger most of the student body...

Let's just say I got a nice long visit from the counselor and a boot up my ass that sent me flying to the steps of Shujin.

I stuffed the wad of money into my pocket and set off for home, humming to myself. I should buy her something. I thought, staring at the shops I passed.

I settled on a fan dotted with Sakura blossoms. She did like having new things to talk about and show her customers. I stared down at it in the bag fondly, not looking where I was going. I knocked my head into someone's chest.

"Shit." I mumbled softly, looking up. My eyes met with dark grey ones. The man before me smiled.

"Sorry about that." he grinned disarmingly. He straightened me up and nodded, before walking away. I frowned, turning to watch him go. I shook off the weird feeling I had and continue my walk home.

~le time skip brought to you by a sequined Nicolas Cage pillow~

Break was over, so now I got to attend Shujin. I examined my outfit. These look like pyjamas. The corners of my lips tugged up. Good thing they feel like it too. I nodded at my reflection and headed off, kissing Lala-chan goodbye.

After an easy, short walk, I arrived at the gates. I know it got me kicked out of my last school, but gambling is... What's an acceptable adjective? Therapeutic. I nodded, allowing myself a small smile.

A hand touched my shoulder.

"Ah!" I yelped in surprise, turning around to see the boy I bumped into over break. My hand covered my heart, "Jesus, you scared me."