Change - Izuku Midoriya X Reader

Class 1-A wasn't the same after the Sports Festival, some students were proud of themselves and their achievements. Some were less proud. And some, were not bothered at all by the results of the festival. But as time passed you began to see this change in others grow, specifically in your long time friend and secret crush, Izuku Midoriya. He wasn't the same after, at first it was only small changes, his smile would sometimes falter and his eyes didn't seem to have the same brightness to them. But things continued to get worse.

After awhile he stopped hanging out with most of his friends, he barely even hung out with you anymore and you guys had been nearly inseparable before. You were confused and worried about him, after all you cared about him a lot and if something was wrong with him, you wanted to know and be there to help and support him. But he refused to tell you anything.

"Izu-Kun, are you okay?" You asked one lunch period when e was just laying with his head in his arms on the table, not eating anything or really participating in conversation with the rest of the group. "I'm fine (y/n)-Chan, I'm just tired..." He mumbled with a sigh, lifting his head from the table and giving you a small, reassuring smile. You frowned, "Please don't lie to me. You can tell me if something is wrong." You whisper to him, wrapping your arms around him and holding him close to you.

His freckled cheeks take on a bright pink blush that travels all the way from his neck to his ears. He slowly hugs you back, nuzzling his face into the space between your neck and collarbone. "Thanks, but I'm okay (y/n)-Chan." He whispers back. You sigh in disappointment, knowing full well that he is lying to you, there has to be a reason why he's no longer the same as he used to be. Was he getting bullied again? Was something wrong at home? Your head was full of questions that needed to be answered.

And you were going to answer them.

----

The days continued into weeks and Izuku continued to go on a downwards spiral, he wasn't ever eating at lunch, he looked thinner than he had ever before by now. He was pushing everyone away, keeping his head down in class, arriving late. He was no longer the Izuku you had originally fallen in love with, but he was still himself somewhere deep inside, you just had to find him.

"Hey Izu-Kun, I was wondering if -...." You began but stopped in your tracks immediately upon taking notice of the situation you had walked into. You had come over to his house to see if you could get him to go get some dinner with you, thus forcing him to eat something, and get out of the house. His mother Inko had let you in and told you he was in his room, while asking you if you knew what had gotten into him lately, you shook your head and had walked into his room without knocking, having done it many times before.

"Izuku..." You gasped, your (e/c) eyes wide and filling with tears, "How could you?!" You shouted at him, walking forward and ripping the razor from his hand, cutting your own hand in the process. You didn't even notice, not when all you could focus on was the long bloody lines traveling up his wrists, and all the blood, so much blood. His green eyes widened, "(y/n)-Chan you're bleeding! Give me the razor back before you hurt yourself more!" He said, standing up and reaching for the razor in your hand. "Me?! You're the one whose cutting yourself! How could you do something like this?!" You continued to scream at him, angry tears running down your cheeks as you backed away from him.

"(y/n)-Chan please calm down..." He said, reaching for you again, "You're hurting yourself! Y-You...I-I.." You sobbed, you were crying so much you could barely speak at this point. You grabbed one of his shirts from the floor and tightly tied it around his wrist, he let you, if only it would make you stop crying. His own eyes were leaking tears from seeing yours, "I didn't want you to see this....To see me like this....I-I'm just not good enough...Why do you even care this much ?" He asks you, turning his gaze to the floor and sniffling.

"You idiot! I care because I love you! But it's not just me, the whole class is worried about you, even Bakugou! Your mom is worried too for God's sake!" You choked out through your tears, grabbing him by the shoulders, "So stop doing this to yourself!" You said, your shaky voice barely above a whisper as you pulled him into a tight hug.

All of your yelling had alerted Inko, who upon the sight of her bleeding son had nearly passed out, but managed to call an ambulance.

The ambulance took you three to the hospital, Izuku was bandaged up and hooked into a few tubes that were feeding nutritional stuff into his malnourished body. Your hand had been bandaged up from when you grabbed the razor, and although the nurse had tried to get you to go wait in the waiting room, you refused. Refusing to leave Izuku's side. "Why would you do this to yourself?" You asked, you had climbed into his bed with him and wrapped your arms around him, resting your head on his chest and listening to his heart beat.

He held you close to him, staring up at the ceiling, "Everyone was so amazing at the Sports Festival, and they continued to improve their quirks after, but all I managed to do was injure myself and lose...I thought...Maybe I'm not cut out to be a hero..." He sighed. Your eyes widened again, finally understanding what was going on inside his head, "Izuku, listen to me, you are cut out to be a hero, one day you're going to be the number one hero, even better than All Might! Just because you haven't improved yet doesn't mean you won't. Most of these kids have had their quirks for years, so of course you're a little behind with your quirk being new to you. Give it time. And if you ever need help, please ask, don't keep doing this to yourself just because you think you aren't worth it." You said, touching a hand to his cheek and turned his head slightly so he looked at you.

"You're right...Thanks (y/n)-Chan, I'm sorry for hurting you like this. I promise I'll get better and I won't do anything that will make you cry again." He said, shifting in the bed so his one hand could caress your cheek, "I'm sorry." He said again. "Don't do it just for me, do it for yourself too. I miss seeing the happy and determined boy I fell in love with." You said, grinning when his face lit up in a crimson blush at your words.

"O-Okay, well um, haha, I-I...I love you too." He stuttered out shyly, making your (e/c) eyes go wide, "You love me?" You asked, your own cheeks heating up. He nodded, "How could I not?" He asked with a grin. "Shut up." You giggled, hiding your face with your hands.

----

Izuku stuck to his promise, he was slowly getting better, but he still fell back into a depressed state sometimes. Those were the days were you stayed with him until he was feeling better, making sure he would eventually be okay again. Rome wasn't built in a day afterall. "You're like his light in the darkness (y/n)." Uraraka said to you at lunch one day, "Hmm?" You asked in confusion, not understanding what she meant. "He looks the happiest when he's with you." She said and you blushed.

"I'm just glad he's happy." You had said.

"Izuku, I love you." You said, pulling him closer to you, seeing his face light up with a smile, understanding what Uraraka had mentioned to you before. He wrapped his arms around you, "I love you too." He said leaning closer to you and capturing your lips in a kiss.

You would continue to shape the future together and forget the past.