Chapter Fifteen

Nadia was running late for dinner

Nadia was running late for dinner. She had managed to forget her Potions book in the classroom earlier that day and was forced to go back down to the dungeons to get it before heading to the Great Hall where she had told Lily she would meet her, Marlene and Mary. She hummed a gentle Muggle tune to herself as she made her way into the classroom, easily spotting to book where she had left it atop her desk.

She quickly grabbed it, exiting the classroom and walking towards the staircases as she heard her stomach grumble in the silent hallway. She couldn't wait to get some food in her. However, Nadia was surprised to find her path intercepted by another body moving through the same narrow corridor, and the two almost slammed into each other.

"I'm sorry." Nadia politely apologized looking up into a pair of familiar grey eyes. However, these weren't the eyes she was used to because as she observed the features of the boy standing before her they were different but yet so similar to Sirius' that she found herself wondering who this boy was. His eyes looked to Nadia once he had fixed his robes, and Nadia took note of the mix of greens and blacks colouring them; he was a Slytherin.

"It's okay." He said curtly and passed by her, unwilling to strike up any further conversation. And Nadia was alright with that. As long as she didn't have to get into another argument with a member of the house of snakes. She started to walk again, moving away from the corridor, but the sound of voices made her look back in surprise as she heard what they were saying.

"Oi, Black! Mate, why aren't you going to the Great Hall?" Nadia knew the voice, remembering it from the Charms class when she was ready to hex the boy to whom it belonged. However, his words made her look back to spot Mulciber, and a boy with black hair that looked as if it hadn't been washed for quite some time approaching the one she had just bumped into.

Now, Nadia was aware that Sirius' family situation was nothing less than complicated, and she didn't know much about it. The only thing she did know was the he came from one of the famous pureblood families and now lived with the Potters. But as sheoverheard the words spoken amongst the three Slytherins, she soon realized why the boy she had run into looked so much like her friend. They must be related, and from the striking resemblance Nadia guessed that this could be Sirius' brother.

Quickly she discovered that looking back at them was not a smart idea, as the cold blue eyes of Mulciber fell upon her retreating figure, quickly recognizing who the lonely Gryffindor was. Nadia quickly turned her head and increased her pace, but only after seeing the smirk appear on Mulciber's long face once he had recognized her. And by then the damage had been done.

"And what do we have here?" His voice rang through the hall, his conversation with Avery and the Black whose name Nadia still hadn't caught long forgotten as he moved down the hall to catch up with Nadia. To his displeasure she didn't stop walking away from him, so instead he had to run over and block her path from the front. "Leaving so soon Volkov?" His smirk unnerved Nadia.