Chapter Twenty Three

When Nadia exited the potions classroom a couple of hours after breakfast she found herself giving out an exhausted huff

When Nadia exited the potions classroom a couple of hours after breakfast she found herself giving out an exhausted huff. While she and the girls may have spent the night with their books and notes sprawled over their beds, revising and studying as much as they could, Nadia was now unsure whether the amount of work they put into it would be enough to get her a good grade on the test she had just finished writing.

"Come on Snowflake, don't worry about the test, even if you do get one bad grade it won't kill you!" James commented as he put his arm around Nadia's shoulders, guiding her in the direction of their next class. She shook her head in amusement at the nickname which all the boys have adapted since Sirius told them about it. Nadia was aware that, now that they knew about her Animagus form, it made a lot of sense, but she was still getting used to it.

"Easy for you to say Potter, I'm still trying to establish a good reputation among the teachers, which will be much harder to do if I fail one of my first tests." Nadia said making James shake his head at her. And in this case, Nadia was even more worried than she would be for other subjects considering she was pretty sure Professor Slughorn didn't really like her that much.

"Mate, did you see this yet?" Peter asked as he rushed over to his friends in the hallway, bringing their walking to a stop and preventing James from trying to reassure Nadia any further as their attention turned to the Pettigrew boy. Peter showed James the title on the front page of the newspaper he held in his hands, angling it so that both he and Nadia could read it.

"Married couple attacked; Muggle man found dead in Canterburry."

The title of the article made Nadia freeze in her spot. She quickly grabbed the paper from Peter's hands, not really paying mind to whether James could read it as well once she had grabbed it and started to read through the contents under the horrifying title.

Last night in the suburbs of Canterbury a married couple was attacked by a number of Death Eaters. The wife and husband were asleep when the followers of You Know Who entered the premises and attacked the couple.

The wife who was a witch was able to fight off the attackers, however, her husband, a Muggle man had been hit with the Killing Curse and did not survive.

Aurors on the scene say that they are tracking down all leads and those responsible for this will be found.

"Nadia? You alright?" Remus asked as he and Sirius caught up with the group of three after leaving the Potions classroom themselves. However, his question went unnoticed by the Russian girl as she read through the details of the article, hoping that at some point the names of the couple would be disclosed. However, there was nothing on who they were exactly, but one single sentence.

For privacy reasons, the name of the victim and his widow is not stated.

"Nadia?" A hand on the girl's shoulder made her snap out of focus, and her eyes looked over at James and the boys who were now staring at her, their worried eyes giving her questioning looks as they found themselves slightly confused by her reaction.