Chapter Thirty Two

Catherine didn't support it at all

Catherine didn't support it at all. The idea of her daughter going off and spending her last days of winter break with Purebloods surrounding her seemed like a horrible idea. Nadia tried time and time again, sometimes directly and other times through subtle stories to change her mind about the Potter boy and especially the Black, but she had a hard time believing their kind could behave in the ways Nadia described.

Nadia was surprised to say the least. Nowadays, when someone was opposed to Muggles, Muggleborns or even Halfbloods, it rarely came as a shock anymore. But she never thought about it going the other way around. She never thought about someone having prejudices against all Purebloods, but because of her mother she was seeing that it really was possible. And it made some sense, why would one side be allowed to spread hate and oppression while the other remained open minded and accepting. She didn't agree with the view her mother had, but she could understand where it came from. Nadia only hoped that at some point she could see otherwise.

But that point, and that time was most certainly not this Christmas break, because by the time the day of December 30th rolled around and Nadia was supposed to go off to the Potters, her mother had gone back on their initial plan on apparating her daughter to the house and instead said her goodbyes that morning before leaving for work.

If it was up to her mother Nadia wouldn't even be going in the first place, but Konstantin knew better than to let his wife make such a decision. It would only make the last days of her break be even more tense and would have surely caused another fight. Nadia was excited and if they told her she couldn't go, he wouldn't be surprised if she snuck out and went anyways. Her rebellious side which had landed her in Gryffindor was starting to show much more with each day.

"But what if it's some kind of a prank, like the last time? What if they invited her and when she goes something bad happens?" Catherine would ask late at night when both parents knew Nadia was already asleep and couldn't hear their conversation.

Each time Konstantin told her they can't keep focusing on what happened in the past. He knew Catherine was just worried and didn't want the same thing to happen this time around, but they couldn't shield Nadia away from making friends. He himself was glad that he hadn't made assumptions about Sirius when he first came to their house because it allowed him to see the friendship between his daughter and the boy, which he very much suspected to be something more as he noticed the way Sirius looked at his daughter. It was that afternoon that made him skeptical of all that his wife had been saying about Purebloods.

Konstantin hated that this war going on in the Wizarding World was bringing tensions and rifts into their own home. If someone had told him that he would find himself being a mediator between two witches with opposing views on Pureblooded witches, wizards, and families when he was Nadia's age he would have surely laughed in their face before calling the ambulance and having the person thrown into an asylum.

However that was the situation he found himself in, and there wasn't much else he could do other than maintain the peace and change topics during mealtimes that he thought could brew another argument. Konstantin knew it could be worse, both women were trying to do the same as he was, it was why Nadia did things like choosing to tell stories which didn't involve her male friends, and it was why Catherine would leave the room when Nadia did speak of them to her father or why that day she had chosen not to be there when Sirius came to pick Nadia up.