Chapter Sixteen

Nadia knew she was in trouble, she knew it very well

Nadia knew she was in trouble, she knew it very well. Because right now she was sitting in the headmaster's office, in a chair on the other side of his desk, her eyes looking down at the book and wand lying on top of the wooden surface. To Nadia's surprise Professor McGonagall had requested that she be questioned about the night's events without the presence of the four Slytherin boys who were involved as well. Minerva had seen the state in which Nadia had rushed into the Great Hall, and the story given to Professor Dumbledore, Slughorn and herself seemed much out of her character to be believed as truth. She wanted to hear it from Nadia's point of view without the boys' interruptions.

"Ms Volkov, would you care to tell us what it is that transpired earlier in the corridor down in the dungeons?" Professor Dumbledore asked from where he sat in his chair opposite of Nadia while Minerva and Slughorn stood by the side of the desk, all three focusing their eyes on the nervous girl sitting in front of them.

"You have nothing to be worried about dear, we just want to know the truth." Professor McGonagall spoke softly, her mind already made up on which side she would believe when all has been said and done. Despite Nadia's friendship with the Marauders, she had proved herself to be a hard-working and ambitious student, and the professor doubted she would go around causing fights and breaking the rules by attacking other students; all claims made by Mulciber and Avery.

"I went to the potions classroom before dinner because I had left my book there, and I needed it to do today's assignment later tonight." Nadia began to explain. She would tell the truth, because while she was only defending herself she did participate in a fight in the corridors and now that she's been caught, Nadia knew she had to face the consequences.

"And this is when you encountered my students?" Professor Slughorn asked curiously. Of course he wanted to believe the Slytherins over a Gryffindor, knowing that with the rivalry between the two houses meant it wasn't impossible for a Gryffindor to pick a fight, but he had come to know Nadia as a polite and calm students, so he was on the fence after hearing the story told by the four boys from his own house.

"No, when I left the Potions classroom I ran into... Uh, Black? I'm sorry I do not know his first name." Nadia said apologetically, she felt like quite the fool as she realized she didn't even know two of the names of the boys she had gotten into this mess with. "I apologized and that was all, no other words were exchanged and both of us walked away." Nadia explained watching as the teachers nodded. She wasn't sure she had anything else to say about the boy considering out of all four he hadn't even drawn his wand, or at least she didn't see him do it.

"So how did the fight start if you and Regulus parted ways so calmly?" Professor Slughorn inquired curiously, unable to gather how this had anything to do with the story. Nadia made sure to remember the name. Regulus Black...

"I was walking away when Avery, Mulciber and... the fourth boy, I do not know his name either." Nadia admitted, and Dumbledore tried to hold back a small smile of amusement as he told her Severus's name before he motioned for her to go on. She hadn't even gotten to the part where the fight starts and he was already seeing that what had been said by the Slytherins of Nadia starting the fight was a lie, just as he had expected. After all, why would the girl start a fight when she was so outnumbered, and with people she didn't even know no less?