Chapter Sixty Nine

"How does he do it? I mean come on he's the biggest menace around here and he gets to be Head Boy?! I always thought it would be Remus

"How does he do it? I mean come on he's the biggest menace around here and he gets to be Head Boy?! I always thought it would be Remus." Lily questioned in her rambles about the face that James Potter, of all people, was Head Boy while she was Head Girl that year. She, Marlene and Nadia walked down the hallways in the direction of the Great Hall. It was their first morning back in Hogwarts and the day classes started. Lily was ecstatic, Marlene not so much, and Nadia just wanted to go to sleep some more. She hated getting back to the school time routine.

"Well he is among the top of our class." Nadia pointed out. Even though she too wondered what exactly it was that James had done to get chosen. She was happy for him, but it was still a surprise.

"A Head Boy is supposed to be chosen based on their academic achievement, outstanding reputation as a student, and an honest, good, and hard-working personality. Not singing The Boys Are Back in Town at the top of his lungs in the hallways." Lily pointed out, the words making Nadia and Marlene laugh as they remembered last night's scene. James and Sirius burst out into song as soon as they passed through the doors of the castle.

"But Lily, maybe you two being Head Boy and Girl together is some kind of sign. Haven't you thought of that?" Marlene asked suggestively as she wiggled her eyebrows with a smirk.

"Maybe it is a sign." Lily muttered thoughtfully, making the two girls on her side share a surprised and hopeful look. That look soon disappeared as Lily spoke her next words. "A sign that Dumbledore is crazier than anyone ever suspected." The red head gave them a pointed look as they passed through the doors of the Great Hall and made their way to the Gryffindor table.

"Oh, you're no fun!" Marlene shook her head in disappointment. She had actually thought she would finally hear Lily admit to the possibility of something happening between her and James. The three girls took a seat at the table and began grabbing food that was served in front of them. "Ah Hogwarts food..." Marlene suddenly trailed off from the topic as she looked at her plate lovingly.

"Look on the bright side, at least we tease you about your soulmate being human." Nadia mumbled to Lily who couldn't keep back her laughter at that statement. Both girls looked at Marlene with curious expression as they watched her while she, oblivious to their stares, started sending air kisses to the food piled onto her plate.

"Why are you two looking at me like I've lost it?" Marlene asked as she finally noticed the two watching her every move while their shoulders shook with suppressed laughter.

"Because you have." Lily said swiftly making Marlene let out a gasp as she placed a hand on her chest, dramatically depicting that she was offended by her friend's words.

"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed." Nadia retorted with a small laugh as she remembered the quote.

"Stop using Shakespeare against me! I really need to make new friends." Marlene pointed her finger at Nadia threateningly before shaking her head as she mumbled out the last part, her eyes scanning over the Great Hall as if she were searching for those new friends. Nadia and Lily were surprised as she started waving to someone.