- 25 -

I nibble on my bottom lip as I looked around my empty apartment

I nibble on my bottom lip as I looked around my empty apartment. I hadn't seen it look so empty since the day I first moved in. It was a bittersweet moment. This was my first apartment since moving to the Bean so I had grown so connected to this place. There were so many memories in this place. Good times and bad. This place was my escape from reality. My tears have hit these floors, my cries echoed throughout the vents and my face has been reflected in the mirrors millions of times. These walls had witnessed my growth. My feelings have been poured throughout this house. The mistakes I've made and learned from have been reflected in this living room over and over. The times when I didn't have a mind of my own to the time when I grew a backbone. This apartment has seen it all.

I knew it wasn't safe for me to be here alone. Ramon had made it very clear that I was moving in with him. At some point, I knew some of Dre's loyal men would come looking for us so we needed to stay under the radar. Fortunately for us, there wasn't many of them. A sprinkle here and there. A couple of them that slipped through the cracks. Most of Dre's men were loyal to Ramon so we had outnumbered the ones that still wanted to avenge his death. We rather be safe than sorry so Ramon felt it was only right for me to stay with him until we could clear any potential threats. I see this move being permanent through. Our relationship was pretty solid at the moment.

Sharea was staying with us as well until she found work and a place of her own. Amarie had given her half the money that she stole from Dre so that would keep her afloat for a while. Amarie also offered to give me a portion but I declined. I didn't feel like I deserved it. I got her into this mess so she deserved to keep any money taken from Dre. Another part me didn't want any money from Dre. He was now a distant memory from my past. Even though he was my cousin I was happy that he was long gone. Now we can all be one step closer to living a free life. We didn't have anyone telling us how to live our lives or anyone to submit to. So far it was a great feeling.

"You ready, baby?" I heard Ramon say from behind me. I look back at him and he was carrying the last of my duffle bags. I nod my head yes. He held his hand out for me to grab it. I make my way towards him and grab his hand so we could leave out. I left my key on the table next to the door so my landlord can have it. Ramon opens the door so that we could leave out. I take one last look at the empty apartment before closing the door behind us. No more looking back I told myself. I need to focus on myself and moving forward. Now it was about me.