- 30 -

Loyalty meant everything to me

Loyalty meant everything to me. To the day I died, I would always be loyal to the streets and my squad. I learned how to be a man from the streets. My momma taught me what she could but no woman could ever teach a man how to be a man. My mom did the best she could but when I adapted to the streets I noticed all the OGs doing what they needed to do in order to provide for their families. I looked up to them wishing one day to be just like them and do the same. I didn't want my momma to work from 7 AM to 12 AM every single day just to make sure I had just the bare minimum. She deserved so much more than that. I took it upon myself to take care of both of us. That then grew into being able to provide for the same family I had now created years later. The streets did that for me.

I'd stare out the windows watching the heroes on the blocks make plays and handle situations with a street mentality. A little nigga like me had no sense of direction. My mom warned me to stay away from the multiple bangers that stood on the corners slanging. It all went out the window she I saw them trading items for money. Some pulling out bands of cash and other wearing labels I tried of wearing as I window shopped with my boys in Prudential mall. We would look at the price tag each saying how one day we'd be able to afford this. Now a nigga didn't even look at price tags. If I wanted it or my family wanted it, there was no hesitation. Ring that shit up and no, I don't need a receipt. I'd make it right back that same day most likely. Due to that, I felt it was my due diligence to always remain loyal to the streets that brought me up from a little nigga to a big boss in these Beantown streets.

Sometimes I thought maybe if my father was around I wouldn't have fell victim to the streets. Then again there was no telling. My father didn't stick around long enough. I barely have any memories of him. I learned to play ball from the OGs that were slanging around the basketball court. I learned about sex from watching porn and hearing the big homies on the block bragging about the hoe they smashed last night. I fucked my first bitch at 14 at a house party I was at to a grown ass woman. I lied about my age and the broad believed me. I had no idea what the fuck I was doing but she guided me through the entire process figuring out I was virgin about 15 minutes into it. I smoked my first blunt with an OG that now laid six feet deep do due gang retaliation. There was no man in my life to show me the way other than the big homies in the streets that trained me. Once I became a teenager I realized he wasn't shit. The least he could do was raise me even if he didn't want to be with my momma. He ran away from all his problems. I promised myself I would never be that nigga to neglect my children. I'd be the best father I possibly could be.