14 - A Good Almost Kiss

Kasumi hugged (Name)'s face like a worried mother. "Oh, (Name), are you okay? That must have been awful!"

"I'm fine, Kasumi, really!"

"You might be fine, but the situation sure isn't," Nabiki said. "This Mikado guy is a legendary ladies' man, not to mention a very skilled figure skater."

(Name) shook her head. "I don't care! Ranma and I can beat him!"

Nabiki looked away from her magazine at Ranma. "So, this skating match is just for you two boys to fight, or is there some sort of prize?"

"Hm? Why would there be a prize?"

"Maybe Mikado is trying to challenge you for a kiss from (Name)."

The pigtailed boy frowned. "No way. There must be something else on that guy's mind!"

Ryoga leaned against the threshold with his arms crossed. He sighed, "(Name). I feel I've failed you as a guardian. If I were paying closer attention to you, then this whole thing wouldn't have happened."

"Ryoga, it's fine." (Name) grinned at him. "You were pretty busy, after all~ Hehehe!"

Ryoga and Akane blushed. Akane glared in embarrassment at her twin. "We were just skating! I was just helping him!"

"Sure~!" She grinned at her before turning to Ranma. "Speaking of skating, we have to buy matching outfits! That way, everyone knows we mean business!"

Ranma watched her talk about what kind of outfits they'd wear to the match as he thought about what happened at the rink. Because of his inability to skate, his fiance was almost kissed by another guy.

He could only imagine how (Name) must've felt about him. He was sure that, deep down, she was mad at him for not being there sooner. He was mad at himself.

(Name) waved her hand in front of Ranma's sulking face. "Ranma? You in there?"

'After all that Shampoo stuff, I still can't make up for my mistakes,' he thought to himself.

"Ranma?"

'What kind of fiance am I?'

"Ranma!"

"Huh?!" Ranma flinched back when he saw that (Name) was right in front of his face, staring at him. "W-what is it?"

She pouted at him. "You zoned out! What's going on with you? Are you still thinking about what Mikado did? Forget him."

"How can I just forget? He almost kissed you, and because of my dumb skates and the dumb ice, I was almost too slow to stop him! Now, I have to go back on the dumb ice to keep him from doing it again!"

"Well, you don't have to. It's not like I asked."

Ranma stood up. "This isn't about asking; it's about what's right! Even if I can't skate, I'm gonna beat him. I have to!"

(Name) frowned at him. "Ranma, why are you getting so worked up?"

"Because I'm the one who's supposed to kiss you, not him!" As soon as he said that, the room went silent. Everyone was watching Ranma to see what he'd do next. Ranma's entire face went red as he realized what he'd said. "W-wait, I didn't, I-- Argh!" He ran off, frustrated and flustered.

Akane blinked in surprise while Ryoga commented, "Well, who knew he felt that way?"

Ranma sat down in the middle of the training room. He was completely embarrassed by what he'd blurted out. 'I can't believe how stupid I am. She probably hates me now.'