51 - Winning and Losing

Every day during that week, (Name) spent the afternoon diligently working on perfecting her routine. Whenever she felt that she was going to fail the audition, or that she was just kidding herself, she thought about how utterly crushed Rida would be when she saw her name at the top of the acceptance sheet. When Friday came, (Name) had her routine memorized and perfected, and she was ready to audition.

"I picked out this beautiful sparkly outfit to wear for my audition," Rida chirped to her little group of admirers. She fluffed out her platinum blonde hair and grinned. "And, my mother did my hair for me. Isn't it beautiful?"

"Absolutely!"

"Gorgeous!"

"Lovely!"

San glanced over at the Tendos and saw that (Name) was busy stretching while giving Akane her instructions for the music. She frowned a little before whispering to Rida, "They aren't listening."

Rida glowered and turned a glare on them. Then, she walked over to the twins, ready to just openly berate them.

However, (Name) spoke before she could. "Good luck out there, Rida," she said before continuing to stretch.

"... Ha! If anyone needs luck, it's you! I was given all the skill and expertise I'll ever need in life by my mother!"

(Name) paused before turning to Rida again. "Do you hate your dad?"

"W-what? Why would you think that?! I love my parents!"

"You don't talk about him much."

Rida glared at her before scoffing. "It doesn't matter whether I talk about him or not. My parents are none of your business."

(Name) narrowed her eyes angrily at Rida then, tired of playing the moral high ground. "Then, why are my parents, or lack thereof, always your business?! I am sick and tired of --!" As she had gotten up to yell at her rival, (Name) stepped on her foot wrong and hurt her ankle. She winced at the pain and knelt down to inspect her ankle with Akane checking, as well.

Akane put gentle pressure on her ankle, making her twin wince a bit louder. "I think it's sprained." She hesitated before telling her, "(Name), I think you're gonna have to forfeit."

"No!"

Rida put her hand on her hip and grinned smugly. "Karma always comes."

(Name) turned a heated point and a hateful glare on the girl. "Today's not the day, and I'm not the one!"

"(Name), (Name), ignore her!" Akane quickly turned her face to look at her. "You cannot dance on this ankle; you'll damage it further. I'm gonna go and get Ranma and Ryoga to help carry you home, okay? There's always next year."

Hot tears pricked at (Name)'s eyes as Akane quickly left the auditorium to go and get the boys. She would be forced to sit back and watch everyone else audition for the dance team.

"Everyone, thank you for your patience. We are ready to begin the auditions. Our first auditioner is Rida Okino."

Rida glanced down at (Name) with a hint of a frown before going onstage. Her music began and she danced beautifully. Of course, she was sure to throw a few cute winks and confident smiles to the team captains and her beloved audience.

(Name) looked down at her injured ankle as her eyebrow twitched angrily. 'Rida did this to me... She came over here and started with me. This was probably part of her plan to try and mess up my audition. She's not gonna win!' She got to her feet just as Rida's song ended.