57 - One Dance

The group collaborated and decided to risk expulsion to teach Rida Okino a lesson about abusing temporary power. On the night of the dance, they were all very nervous. However, for some, it was for different reasons.

Akane brushed her hair out for the 20th time, making sure that it was soft and tangle-free. She smoothed down the sides of her golden-yellow dress and sighed. "Okay. Everything's good." She left her room and looked around for her twin. "(Name), we need to go."

"Okay!" (Name) rushed to Ranma's room and knocked on the door. "Ranma."

From inside the room, Ranma questioned, "W-what is it?" They wanted to surprise each other by not seeing what they were wearing until the dance.

"I just wanted to let you know that we're going to the school now. Make sure that Ryoga doesn't get lost, okay? And, be careful. Don't step a single foot inside the building, or everything's ruined."

"I got it. You be careful, too, though. Gosunkugi might still be there." Ranma growled.

(Name) smiled a little at his protectiveness. "If he is, I'll be alright. Don't worry about him, Ranma. Stay focused. See you soon."

He called back, "'kay, see ya!" Ranma fussed with his bangs for a moment as he looked in the mirror. This would be his first dance; really, his first formal social event. He wasn't nervous, per se... more, cautious.

The front door closed, letting him know that he would leave the room now. He straightened his white shirt and checked over the buttons before calling, "Hey, Pigface! Kick it into gear, we've got about 20 minutes before Shampoo comes."

Ryoga sat at the living room table, staring intently at the two shirts he had narrowed his choice down to. He inspected them closely, making sure that they were both clean and intact, before he held each one up to his bare chest to see how it would look.

Ranma came into the living room and deadpanned at him. "It's just a shirt, piggy. Pick one."

"Ha. Unlike you, Ranma, I understand how important tonight is. I need to look my absolute best in order to help our case if something goes wrong. The rule was made to protect the school property and students from hoodlums and scoundrels, so I need to be presentable." Ryoga decided on the white dress shirt and quickly slipped it on. Then, he took his top bandana off and tied it around his neck like an ascot. 

As Ryoga took off the other 20 bandanas he was wearing, Ranma rolled his eyes and leaned against the doorframe. Then, he frowned. "Were you trying to say something about my attire, Ryoga? You saying I look like a hoodlum?"

Ryoga side-glanced him. "More of a scoundrel."

"You're lucky we're dressed nice, or I'd teach you a lesson for that!" Ranma gripped one end of the table, glaring angrily at him.

Ryoga leaned over the table and glared back at him, angry sparks and lightning flying in the background around them. "20 minutes is more than enough time for me to lay you across the room!"

They growled challengingly at each other for a moment, honestly considering just changing real quick and fighting, before Ranma backed down, frowning. He crossed his arms and muttered, "(Name) wants us to get along tonight. There's a lot on the line for her and Akane, and they're doing it for us. The least we can do is behave ourselves for a few hours until the dance is over."

Ryoga looked at him a bit skeptically before huffing. "I was behaving just fine until you provoked me, Ranma. But... you're right."

After a moment of silence, Ranma raised his eyebrow at Ryoga. "Don't you have anything else to say?"