61 - A Homecoming Surprise

Nabiki flipped through channels on the TV while Kasumi set out some snacks for everyone. It was a pretty hot day, so everyone was relaxing in the air conditioning. With a heavy, bored sigh, Nabiki announced to Akane, Ryoga, and Kasumi, "There's nothing good on, you guys."

Akane pointed at the screen. "What about this you stopped on?"

They all looked at the TV to see a people search segment. "Today, we have a four-year-old female looking for someone very dear to her."

"Oh, how sad." Kasumi sympathized, putting her hand on her cheek.

"Checkers Hibiki --"

"Huh?" Everyone blinked at the video footage of the dog on screen, waving. 

"Checkers?!" Ryoga leaned toward the TV a bit.

" -- is looking for her master so that he can come home and see her puppies." Checkers held up one of the puppies to the camera. 

Ryoga leaned closer to the TV with wide eyes. "She had puppies?!"

"So, if you are out there, Ryoga Hibiki, please come home."

The girls turned to look at Ryoga. He was just staring ahead, absorbing the information. Kasumi said, "How wonderful for you, Ryoga. Your pet dog had puppies."

"But, unfortunately, she wants you to see them," Nabiki mentioned. "With your sense of direction, you might make it to their graduation if you leave today."

"Nabiki, stop it." Akane smiled at him. "Don't worry, Ryoga. We'll get there in no time!"

He blinked out of his worried daze and questioned, "W-we?"

She blushed before twiddling her thumbs and muttering, "Well, I-I'm your girlfriend now. I'm supposed to help you. I'd like to see the puppies, too, if I can..."

Ryoga blushed before holding Akane's hands in his. "Of-of course! I'd love for you to come and meet Checkers and the puppies!"

"G-great!" Akane grinned. "So, when are we going?"

Ryoga was silent for a moment as he realized that he had no idea how to get to his house. If he led the way, they'd end up at the other end of the world! He gripped his hair in exasperation and groaned, putting his head on the table.

"Ryoga?"

"Oh!" Ryoga snapped his head back up, remembering that Akane was still waiting on an answer to her question. He chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of his neck. "Haha, w-well..."

"Huh?" Ranma crossed his arms with a quirked brow. Ryoga had no choice but to suck up his pride and ask Ranma to lead them to his house. "Why do you want to go home all of a sudden?"

After a pause, Ryoga said, "My dog."

Ranma stared at him. "Is there more to that sentence, or...?"

"My dog had puppies, and we're going to see them tomorrow."

Ranma put his hands behind his head as he leaned against the wall. "'We?' Sorry to burst your bubble, piggy, but I'm not interested in puppies."

"Not me and you! Me and Akane."

The pigtailed boy stared at him for a moment before a smirk spread across his face. "Oh, that's why, huh?"

Ryoga narrowed his eyes at him, not understanding his implications. "What? What?!"

"Spending a whole day with your girlfriend alone, under the guise of 'seeing your dog's puppies.' Don't you think you're moving a bit fast, there, Ryoga?" The boy in question blushed as Ranma continued to poke fun at him. He put his hand on his chin in pretend thought as he mused, "My, I wonder what Mr. Tendo will think of you attempting to go on a tryst with his daughter?"