59 - Romeo and...

The day of the Regional High School Drama Club Competition came, and everyone was in quite a tizzy about it. The performances would be held in the auditorium of Furinkan High. The visiting schools came and readied their props, got familiar with the set-up of the stage, and got into their various costumes.

In the males' dressing room, the drama club director looked around to make sure that everyone had everything they needed. "Goodness, goodness, we're about to go on!" He put his hands up to his face in horror. "Where is my lead?! Ranma Saotome, where have you disappeared to?"

Ranma gulped nervously as he got into his costume. The rehearsals had gone on without a hitch until it came to the love scene. He groaned in annoyance at himself.

Ranma couldn't bring himself to move an inch closer to (Name), no matter how many times his thoughts tried to urge him. 'For China, for China!' But, he didn't budge. He just stayed holding her shoulders, staring at her with an uncomfortable expression on his face.

(Name) couldn't take much more. She had broken character minutes ago and was simply waiting deadpan for the drama club director to call for them to stop.

"For pity's sake, Ranma!" The director exclaimed. "This is one of the most important scenes in the whole play, the big kiss! If we want to win, you're going to have to get over your shyness and kiss her!"

Ranma glared at him. "Look, I'll do it at the competition! There's no need to practice it here."

"'I'll do it at the competition.' What a load..." Ranma grumbled, fixing his shirt. "I've gotta do something, or we'll lose."

Just then, there was a knock on the bathroom door. "Hello? Is anyone in here?"

"Yeah, I'm done." He opened the door to step out and paused when he saw the thespian upperclassman, Tatewaki Kuno. He crossed his arms and asked, "What is it, Kuno?"

"I came to give you a few words of encouragement." Kuno put his hands on Ranma's shoulders and looked him in the eyes, completely serious. "What happens onstage stays onstage."

"Huh?"

"If you perform with that mindset, then you will be able to transcend the chains of cowardice that hold you. Become Romeo of the house Montague; believe in Romeo."

Ranma rolled his eyes. "That's nuts. Even if it's a play, that kiss thing... That's not something I'm willing to do." He shrugged himself out of Kuno's grip and began walking toward the stage area. "Thanks for the advice, anyway, though."

The curtain opened to reveal a group of actors, all in beautiful renaissance clothing, talking quietly amongst themselves. Offstage, the drama club director acted as the narrator. He spoke into his microphone, "We open on a lavish celebration in fair Verona, Italy. Two feuding families, the Montagues and Capulets, were about to butt heads in the worst way. This gathering, held by the Capulets, was to celebrate the coming of age of Lord Capulet's daughter, the beautiful Juliet."

At that moment, (Name) gently waded her way through the crowd and made her way to the front of the stage. She slowly swiped a bit of her hair from her face and looked around with a curious expression.

"Also attending the gathering, undetected by the master of the household, was the son of Lord Montague, Romeo."

Ranma cautiously stepped into view beside (Name), acting as if he were checking his surroundings. They gently bumped arms and turned to look at each other.

"When Romeo and Juliet met gazes, it was love at first sight."

(Name) smiled at Ranma, making him blush. He rubbed the back of his neck as his eyes quickly scanned over her costume. This was the first time he had seen her in costume, and he almost didn't know how to respond. 'No one said she'd be all done-up like this...'