43 - A Little Confession

(Name) twirled her thumbs nervously as she slowly emerged from her bedroom. A couple of hours had passed since Kasumi had patched up her bruises, and she was sure that everyone was busy repairing the training room by now. She changed into casual clothes before quietly going downstairs.

In the training room, Ranma was getting annoyed with how Ryoga was trying to nail down the new boards for the floor. "You're not hammering right. I thought you were just directionally stupid, but it turns out you can't use a tool to save your life!"

"How about I hammer at your face until it resembles something more pleasant?!"

Akane looked back at them from her place at the doorway. "Quit bickering and get back to hammering. Ranma, Ryoga is doing his best. Ryoga, no one can do anything about Ranma's face."

Ryoga stuck his tongue out at Ranma before getting back to work. Ranma glared at him with a frown but got busy with hammering, as well. Then, he muttered to Akane, "H-have you heard anything about (Name)? Is she alright?"

"Yeah. Kasumi had a talk with her when she went to treat her wounds." Akane looked over at him and grinned a little. "She'll be okay."

He sighed softly. "I'm glad."

"Ranma loves (Name)~" Ryoga teased, making Ranma's face turn red and glare at him. He held up his hands in surrender as he chuckled, "Just trying to lighten the mood a bit."

"Um." Everyone looked over at the doorway to see (Name). "I, uh..." she stuttered, feeling a bit awkward after her dramatic exit before. 

Akane gently approached her twin, noticing the bandage over her nose. "Hey. Are you alright?" They hugged. "You had us all worried for a moment."

"I'm okay." (Name) put on her best smile before looking over at her father. "Papa... When you're done with the repairs, c-could we talk?"

Soun nodded. "Of course. We're nearly done, so it won't be much longer."

Ranma looked over at (Name) and noticed the solemn look on her face. He frowned, worried about what she might want to talk with Soun about. Once the repairs were completed, everyone cleared out so that they could have privacy to talk.

(Name) looked down at the floor, hesitating for a moment. Then, she said, "Papa, I know that I probably let you down. Actually, I did let you down. But, I... I want you to know that I won't fail the Tendo dojo again. Even if I can't fight, I-I can do other things to help keep the dojo running. Just..."

"(Name). Please, let me first apologize to you." Soun said, putting his hands on his daughter's shoulders. "You did your very best to defend our dojo, and I am proud of you. As your father, I should have been the very first to congratulate you on that. I'm proud to have you as a daughter, (Name), and I'm so sorry that you were injured this way." He hugged her tightly, sniffling back tears.

"Thank you, Papa..." The young girl buried her face into her father's shoulder and sighed in relief. She was glad that he wasn't upset with her, and it made a world of difference to her to know that her efforts were appreciated. 

Soun smiled at her before telling her, "You don't have to worry about the dojo, my dear. I know that you and Ranma will take care of the Anything Goes School of Martial Arts."

She blinked in surprise. "You... You're not going to break our engagement?"

"Of course not. (Name), is that what you wanted to talk about?"

"Well..."

Soun raised his eyebrow at her. "Well, now, don't tell me... Do you really want to marry Ranma Saotome, agreement or not?"