19 - Great-Granny Cologne

All six teens sat around the table, not knowing what to do or say to each other. (Name) was the first one to speak. "Okay! So, we have 3 people with curses to help remove. No big deal. We can do this."

"What? No! I'm not helping Kuno with anything! Even if he's not the one with the curse, it would still be benefiting him!" Ranma said, pointing at his foe. "I barely wanted to help Ryoga!"

She grinned. "Ha, ha! You said 'barely!' That means you wanted to help him a little. You guys are friends; I knew it!"

Ryoga scowled, shaking his head. "No, we are not! I am still going to make Ranma pay for all of my suffering, as soon as this curse is lifted from me!"

"Really?" (Name) looked at him with an amused smirk. "Because, as of late, it seems that you're biggest goal is crushing on my twin."

Akane glared at her. "Knock it off! We don't like each other like that!"

"Hey, you said it." (Name) giggled, putting her hands up in surrender. 

Just then, there was a knock at the front door. From the other side of the house, Kasumi called, "I'll get it!" She went to the door and smiled warmly at the visitor. "Hello, ma'am. How can I help you?"

"I'm looking for my great-granddaughter. Her name is Shampoo."

"Shampoo! You have a relative visiting!"

Shampoo gasped, turning to look at the old woman that came into the dining area. "Great-Grandmother..."

"Shampoo, my dear. It's wonderful to see you." The old woman sat down beside her great-granddaughter and looked around at the 3 young men at the table. "Now, tell me, which one of these boys is my son-in-law?"

Everyone pointed to Kuno, even Kuno himself. He stood up and bowed respectfully to her. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Tatewaki Kuno, the honorable boyfriend of your great-granddaughter, Shampoo."

"Boyfriend?" The woman shook her head. "No, no, that simply won't do. If you are not her fiance, then you have no claims to her. Unless you have defeated her actual fiance. Shampoo told me that, for a time, she had 2 possible husbands."

"Grandmother, please." Shampoo quietly begged.

(Name) raised her hand. "Excuse me, but isn't the fact that Shampoo chose him enough to forget all that?"

The old woman's grip on her staff tightened. "Forget? Forget ancient laws passed down through several hundred generations; impossible! Young lady, I'm sure that you just want Shampoo to have a say, but she does. She can refuse your fiance and marry the other boy."

"How did-- Who are you?"

"My name is Cologne. I am a 300-year-old Chinese Amazon."

Everyone gaped at Cologne. "300 years?!"

She nodded, fluffing her long silver hair. "Mm-hmm, and proud of it, young'uns. Now, Shampoo," Cologne looked at Shampoo. "Choose which one will be the best match for you."

"Great-Grandmother... I want Boyfriend Kuno."

Kuno beamed happily at her proclamation. 

She held her great-grandmother's hands and pleaded with her, "Please! Please, allow us to date, and then get married."

Cologne shook her head in pity. "If he has not defeated you in battle, then he cannot marry you. If we ignore our ancient traditions, then we have no right to call ourselves Amazons. Understand me clearly, Shampoo. It is simply the way."

Akane kindly interjected, "Then, why not let them battle? If they really love each other, then Kuno will win for sure!"

"Exactly. It wouldn't be a fair fight. How would I know if Shampoo is really fighting or letting him win?" The old Amazon shook her head. "I'm sorry, but, there is simply no other way. Unless young Kuno is able to defeat these two boys, then he can never hope to marry my Shampoo."