62 - Meet the Hibikis

Ryoga rubbed his eyes before jumping to hug his parents. "Hi, Mom! Hi, Dad!" He threw his arms around them both, laughing jubilantly. 

Yasuko, his mother, hugged her child tightly in her arms. "Ryoga. This is such a happy surprise!"

"Luck is what it is," her husband, Tozen, said. He put his hand on the back of Ryoga's head as he leaned into his father's chest, gently smoothing down his son's scruffy, fluffy hair. "Luck that I'm grateful for."

"I didn't think you guys would be here. I should have called, or something!" Ryoga chuckled, thinking back to Akane's question. Just then, he glanced back at Akane, (Name), and Ranma, who were all standing back a bit and awkwardly feeling as though they were intruding. 

Tozen motioned with his hand toward the house and told them, "Well, come on in. Any friends of Ryoga's are welcome here."

"Go ahead and make yourselves comfortable," Yasuko called as she sprinted to the kitchen. "I'll get some snacks together."

Ryoga smiled and jumped to introduce everyone once they were settled in the living room. Before he could, though, the black-and-white dog gently batted his paw at his hand to catch his attention. He knelt down and began scratching the dog behind the ear as he asked his father, "Dad, who's this dog? It can't be Checkers."

"Hm? Oh, that's Shirokuro. He's Checker's mate and the father of the pups."

Ryoga went stiff as he stared in shock at Shirokuro. Shiro's ears flattened nervously against his head. Then, Ryoga took a calming breath and pat him on the head. "Welcome to the family." Shirokuro tugged on Ryoga's sleeve, wanting him to follow him. "Again? I'll see Checkers in a minute." 

"*Awrf!*" Shirokuro huffed, getting impatient.

"Don't bark at me, I'm coming." He turned to his parents and told them, "Mom, Dad, this is Akane and (Name) Tendo, and Ranma Saotome. I'll be right back." He went upstairs to his room, where Checkers and the puppies were waiting.

Yasuko set out a platter of snacks and smiled warmly at the three teens. Tozen sat next to his wife and grinned at the group. As they began to eat, he asked, "So, how did you all meet Ryoga?"

"He tried to fight me over some sandwiches," Ranma answered, munching on some chips.

Akane glared at him. "Don't make it sound so petty, Ranma."

"What? It was!"

"He was actually trying to make good on his duel challenge," Akane cleared up. "But, he got lost. Then, he ran into us and got lost again."

Ranma added, "After attacking me out of the blue."

(Name) jumped into the explanation, "Then, he challenged Ranma at school and nearly beat him, but I intervened."

"No, he wasn't! And, you interrupted before I could win!"

She glared at him. "He drew blood and had your arm trapped! Besides, it doesn't matter who would've won; you guys are best friends now."

Ranma glared back at her. "We are not friends! We're rivals, at best!"

Akane cleared her throat before addressing Ryoga's parents. "Ignore them. Lovers' spat, you know." She grinned a little as (Name) and Ranma blushed and glared at her. Then, she continued. "Since then, Ryoga's been staying at our house so he doesn't get lost somewhere else."

"I see." Yasuko nodded, taking in the information. "Well, thank you so much for looking out for our son. That's so kind of you all."

Akane smiled. "Oh, it's no problem at all! Ryoga's actually been working on getting better at finding his way."

Tozen raised his eyebrow. "Oh? Has it worked?"

"Well, somewhat. It's still safer to just lead him around, but I believe that he'll be able to get around on his own soon enough."

Ranma rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right. You might as well buy a leash for him at this point."

(Name) poked him in the cheek with her pretzel stick and scolded him. "Don't badmouth Ryoga to his own parents. That's rude."

Tozen waved it off. "Oh, it's fine. Believe me, we've heard all the bad direction jokes and jabs." He smirked at Ranma. "You'll have to do a lot better than that to get a rise out of me."

Ranma chuckled. "Well, Ryoga's not as thick-skinned as you, sir. Honestly, it's kinda funny just how riled he gets over little jabs."

Just then, Ryoga stomped on the back of Ranma's head, shoving his face into the table. "Ranma, you are a guest in my home and you will act as such! Don't make me get violent with an armful of puppies!"

"Ooh, they're so cute~!" (Name) cooed as she helped lift Ranma up from the table.

Ryoga smiled. "Yeah, they are. Checkers wanted me to bring them down to meet you guys once I told her you were here." Checkers and Shirokuro sat down by the table as Ryoga sat down next to Akane. He set the six puppies down in his lap so that they wouldn't get into the snacks on the table. "They just woke up a few minutes ago, so they're still groggy."

Akane picked one up. "Oh, they're the sweetest."

Tozen mentioned to the kids, "They haven't been named yet. Maybe one of you would like the honors?" (Name) immediately raised her hand, volunteering for the position. Her eyes shone with such begging optimism that Tozen had no choice but to relent. 

Then, she went and knelt down by Checkers. "Checkers, ma'am. Would you allow me to name your puppies?" The mother dog took a moment to sniff at (Name)'s scent before putting her paw on the girl's shoulder. She turned her teary eyes to the others and softly spoke, "I have been chosen..."

"Ryoga," Yasuko started, "your friends were just telling us about how you all met. How have things been living with them?"

Ryoga rubbed the back of his neck and smiled. "Oh, well, it's great. But, uh, I wanted to tell you -- oh!" He turned to Akane and whispered to her, "Is it okay to tell them?"

She smiled at him. "Yeah, it's fine."

"Akane and I are dating," He announced to them, puffing his chest out proudly and grinning from ear to ear.

Tozen lit up a bit. "Really, now?"

Yasuko beamed. "Oh, that's so wonderful, Ryoga!"

"How long have you two been dating?"

"A few weeks now, but I've had a crush on her for a long while before that," Ryoga admitted, twiddling his thumbs shyly.

Akane turned to him, blushing faintly. "Really? You did?"

He flushed pink and nodded. "Uh-huh."

Yasuko subtly nudged her husband and gave him a knowing smile, which he returned with a light blush. Then, she noticed the time and announced, "Oh, it's nearly lunchtime. I'll go get something together. Anyone have any allergies?"

Akane shook her head. "No, we're all good."

Yasuko paused in the doorway of the kitchen before turning to Akane and asking, "Akane, I'd hate to impose, but would you like to come and cook with me? That way, we can talk a bit more."

She hesitated, unsure of how to answer. 'Confidence, Akane,' she told herself. 'Just follow her instructions, and it'll be great!' Akane swallowed down her nerves and stood up to follow Yasuko. "Okay." 

"Say, Ryoga," Tozen smirked at his son. "While the ladies cook, why don't we have a little match, huh?"

Ryoga's eyes twinkled excitedly as he furiously nodded, already on his feet and ready. "Yeah, yeah, yeah! Have you learned anything new while you and Mom were away?!"

"You'll just have to watch and see, son." His father laughed, patting him on the shoulder as they walked out to the yard.