27 - Double Date Dashed

(Name) hummed as she smoothed down her skirt. Nabiki was sitting on her bed, brushing her hair for her, while she sat on the floor in front of her. "So, you're going on a date to make Ranma jealous and confess, right?"

"It's not a date; it's a friendly outing."

The sassy brunette smirked. "Of course. Say, where are you going again?"

(Name) hesitated before saying, "W-well, actually... Something came up and Hikaru said that he can't take me for milkshakes today. I-it's fine; I'm not disappointed or anything." She waved it off like it was nothing.

However, Nabiki saw it in her eyes. Any girl would feel upset about being stood up, whether for a date or a 'friendly outing.' She raised her eyebrow at her younger sister. "So, then, why are you getting all dolled up?"

"Akane and Ryoga were there when he asked me for milkshakes, so I'm just gonna go to the mall and window-shop for a while." She pursed her lips in shame. "I couldn't bare to tell them... They'd just pity me and try to cheer me up."

Nabiki fluffed (Name)'s hair out as she said, "Well, I hope you have fun. Don't worry," she did a shushing motion with her finger and winked, "I won't tell them."

"Thanks, Nabiki." She stood up and gave her a thumbs-up. "See you later!"

"Bye~" Nabiki watched her leave and waited in her room until she heard the front door close. Then, she sprung into action. 

Downstairs, Ranma and his father were training. He was beginning to hone his skills much better. Even so, he was distracted. 'What's that Gosunkugi creep got planned? If he tries anything with my (Name), I'll--' "Argh!" He sat down and covered his face in embarrassment. 'I called her my (Name) again!'

Genma picked his son up by the collar and set him on his feet. "Ranma, pay attention! What's gotten into you, boy?"

"Excuse me, gentlemen~" Nabiki appeared in the doorway, smiling. "I need to borrow Ranma for a while. It's very important."

"Hm?!" Ranma raised an angry eyebrow at her. He had met her in the hallway and she explained the situation to him. "T-that slimy little creep asked her... on a date?!"

"Ah-ah-ah! A 'friendly outing.' Nevertheless, my baby sister has just gone out to walk the mall by herself." Nabiki poked him in the chest. "As her fiance, I believe it's best if you go and find her. Even if she doesn't have a crush on this guy, she still feels bad that she got stood up."

Ranma crossed his arms and scoffed. "Isn't it a sister's job to cheer her up? She didn't even tell me about this little 'outing,' so why would she--"

"You really are dense, Ranma. I know that you care about her; you've shown it so many times. She really needs you right now. So, suck up your pride and go to her. Make her feel wanted."

He blushed. "W-wanted?"

"I could see it on her face. She probably feels like Hikaru was lying about other plans popping up. Now, go put on something fetching and find her. She's at the mall!" The brunette waved at him before running off.

Ranma sighed, considering what to do. 'Hmm... On the one hand, she tried to go on a date with some creep behind my back. On the other, she's out at the mall alone, feeling sorry for herself.' He crossed his arms with a frown. "What's a guy to do?" he muttered as he walked off to his room.

Meanwhile, Ryoga and Akane were sitting awkwardly in a booth, trying to enjoy their treats while they waited on (Name) and Hikaru to show up. They couldn't stop blushing because of the situation. To everyone else in the shop, it would look like they were on a date.