20 - A Compromise for Romance's Sake

Tatewaki Kuno sat by himself at a table in Cologne and Shampoo's noodle shop. He watched as his intended girlfriend served the other customers their dishes. Every now and again, Shampoo would glance at him before quickly focusing on her duties as waitress. 

Cologne didn't notice them because she was so busy cooking the orders. However, she did notice when the bell at the front door rang and a group of teens came in.

"Ni hao!" Shampoo cheerfully greeted the Tendo twins and their boys. She considered them to be her friends since they were trying to help her be with Kuno.

(Name) smiled at her, holding up the coupon that Cologne had given her. "Hiya, Silky Blue! We're here to try out the noodles."

"Right this way." Shampoo led them to a table, next to Kuno's, and gave them some menus.

Akane peered over her menu at (Name), silently gesturing with her eyes to look over at the next table. She got the message and saw that Kuno hadn't ordered anything yet. "Hmm... I think I'll have..." She looked at Kuno as she raised her eyebrow. He pretended to look around as he drummed three fingers against his cheek. All of the menu items were numbered, so (Name) quickly glanced down at the third item. "I'll have 2 lo meins."

Ranma raised his eyebrow. "Two? You sure you can eat two of 'em?"

(Name) reached across the table and pinched his mouth closed. She made Ranma and Ryoga sit beside each other to become friends. "Haha! Why don't you just order something, Ranma?"

Ranma tried to respond, but his words were mumbled by (Name)'s hand. He gave up and just grumbled as he looked down at his menu. (Name) let go of his mouth and smiled. 

Everyone else just ordered some ramen. Shampoo quickly wrote down their orders, peeking over her little notepad to glance in Kuno's direction. However, she saw her great-grandmother standing on the table and glaring at Kuno, which made her gasp.

Cologne stared Kuno down. "Well, well, Tatewaki Kuno..."

"Ms. Cologne, ma'am," Kuno responded, trying to be as polite as possible. The elder Amazon's intense aura made him nervous, even if he hid it well.

"I certainly hope that you're here to fight for Shampoo's hand."

The upperclassman nodded. "I am willing, yes, but..." He stood up and angrily pointed to the boys at the next table. "These two continue to be difficult! As if they don't have fiances already!"

Ryoga blushed before glaring angrily at him. "Listen to me! I'm not going to fight for a girl I didn't even ask for!"

Kuno bristled in fury. "So, you think Shampoo is not worth the effort? You dare insult her this way, to me?!" He moved away from his table and grabbed Ryoga by the collar, lifting him up.

"Kuno, put him down!" Akane shouted.

Shampoo worriedly watched on. "Stop! No hurt Pig Boy!"

"Fight me, you insolent whelp!" Kuno said, throwing Ryoga down onto his feet.

He frowned in determination as he got into a battle stance. "That's fine with me. Since you're so set on fighting!" 

Before either of them could even throw a hit, Ranma got up and stood between them. He glared at the angry Kuno. "Listen! No one's insulting anyone; we just don't want to fight over her! Even if I fought with the intent to lose, it would look like I was trying to keep her, and I'm not! I'm perfectly happy with the fiance I have now!"

(Name) blushed and looked at him. "Ranma..."

"You can have Shampoo, Kuno, no one's stopping you." Ranma added.