65 - What You Are

Ranma sat down in the dojo with a stack of paper and a jar of pens. He cracked his knuckles with a confident grin as he thought to himself, 'This'll be a sinch. Just jot some stuff down, leave it in her room, and everything will breeze over.'

He reached out to grab a pen when his eyes drifted over to a green-colored one. His face heated up before he shook his head clear and grabbed a plain black-colored pen. 'This isn't a love letter. Even if I was gonna write one, I wouldn't need some superstitious green ink luck...' Ranma's eyes shot over to the green pen, 'Would I?'

The teen flopped over onto his back and stared up at the ceiling. "Maybe she's getting tired of me. Maybe that's why she asked what she is to me." He put his hands behind his head with a little pout on his face. Ranma couldn't really blame (Name) if she was getting tired of their stagnant relationship. Not only was it not started by their own choice, but Ranma had the romantic literacy of a tone-deaf turtle. 

"Ugh, this isn't a sinch at all," Ranma rubbed his face in annoyance. Then, he flipped back over and grabbed a sheet of paper. "Alright. Here we --"

The door to the training room slid open, revealing the Tendo twins. Akane raised her eyebrow at the stiff stance Ranma was in. Wide-eyed, hands behind his back, big obviously forced smile; he looked like he was caught committing a crime. "Hey, Ranma," she greeted, somewhat awkwardly. (Name) walked in behind her sister, carrying her portable stereo. She was dressed in her laidback workout clothes: a sports bra and sweatpants.

"Hi!" He answered immediately. Inside, he was reeling. 'Why is she here?! She's not supposed to train! We talked about that!'

(Name) looked at Ranma with a small, shy smile. "H-hi, Ranma."

Ranma snuck around her, not letting her see what he was hiding behind his back, and he quickly said, "Oh,hi,(Name)!Youlooknice!Seeya!" Before bolting out of the training room to find a new place for privacy.

(Name) pouted to herself. 'I made things awkward between us by asking that before...'

Akane snickered, "Is that his way of flirting?"

"H-how so?!" (Name) blushed.

"He said you look nice, and you're wearing a sports bra. Not trying to make something of nothing, but he did look a bit red in the face, didn't he?"

(Name) shrugged, trying not to dwell on the idea. But, it did seem plausible. "I dunno."

Elsewhere, in the living room of the house, Ranma dropped his papers and pens down on the table before sitting down to catch his breath. 'Okay... Let's try this again.' He grabbed a pen and began writing.

Hey, (Name).

'Decent start...' Ranma spun the cap to the pen on the table as he tried to get his thoughts together.

Not gonna lie; I don't know what I'm doing with this. When you asked me what you are to me, it caught me off-guard. 

'I'm no good at this mushy stuff. And, I doubt (Name)'d want to read that from me, anyway.'

I'll give you my honest answer. We've been 'engaged' for a while now, but I actually keep forgetting that we're supposed to be getting married at some point. With how we are now, it doesn't feel like an end goal. But --

"Oh, hello, Ranma." Kasumi walked into the room from the kitchen, carrying a tray of mochi treats she had just made. 

Ranma, having been scared by the sudden voice, had snatched up the unfinished letter and shoved it into his mouth to hide it. He gave the best closed-mouth smile he could with the paper ball in his mouth, and hoped Kasumi was just passing by and wouldn't ask any questions.