42 - A Crestfallen Conclusion

The air was tense as Ranma and the dojo destroyer faced off. Since Ranma knew how this guy fought, he was able to make a quick plan to get the upper hand. When the destroyer started throwing signs, he jumped, ducked, and dodged them with efficiency. 

Ranma approached him and decked him in the jaw, nearly bringing the hefty man to the ground. The destroyer rubbed his sore jaw and grinned down at his opponent. "You're good. But, not good eno--" As he reached down for another sign, he felt nothing but the bottom of his basket.

On the sidelines, Soun quietly exclaimed, "He's used up all his signs!" He cried happily, hugging the Tendo sign. "Our dojo is safe!"

Ranma jumped up and threw a cavalcade of punches to the vital spots of the dojo destroyer's upper body. Then, he double-kicked him in the chest, letting his anger fuel the power behind his attacks. He had to avenge (Name)'s honor; she looked so upset at nearly losing the fight. The destroyer soared backward, crashing through the doors of the training room and hitting his head on a stone block outside. 

He was defeated, and the Tendo dojo was safe.

Overwhelmed in his happiness, Soun ran over to Ranma and hugged the boy tightly. "Ranma, you did it! You saved our dojo! Oh, what would we do without you?!"

"You did good, boy." Genma smiled proudly.

Ranma ignored their praises and turned around. "(Name)?" She was staring down at the ground, so he couldn't see her face. But, her shivering fists and heaving shoulders told him what she was feeling. (Name) shot to her feet and ran out of the room, wiping the tears from her face. "(Name)!"

Kasumi got up and announced, "I'll get the first-aid kit. Oh, I hope (Name)'s injuries aren't too serious. I may have to take her to see Dr. Tofu."

"You mean, we might have to take her," Nabiki corrected, following her. "If you take her, her injuries will get even worse."

Akane stomped up and frowned angrily at her father. "Dad! How can you be so insensitive?!"

"What do you mean?"

She imitated his previous happy expressions. "'Oh, Ranma, what would we do without you?' after (Name) almost broke her nose trying to defend the dojo! Our family dojo! She did her best and you just glossed over it."

Soun looked down at the dojo sign and muttered, "I -- I hadn't meant..." Then, he fell to his knees, sobbing. "What a horrible father I am!"

Akane shook her head at him. "Dad..."

Ranma stood in the same spot, staring at the open doorway. He didn't know what to do or say. Ryoga walked up to him and put his hand on his shoulder. "We just need to give her a minute. She might not want us to see her if she's crying."

"But, we can't just leave her by herself if she is crying. What kind of people would that make us?"

"I understand what you mean, Ranma, but I think she just wants some alone time right now. She'll come back downstairs soon, and then you can talk to her."

Ranma looked confused. "Talk to her? About what? What am I supposed to say?"

Akane put her hands on her hips and suggested, "How about 'Good job, (Name). You held your own pretty well there.'"

Ryoga nodded in agreement. "Yeah. Or, you could tell her that she doesn't need to feel bad because she lost this one fight."

Ranma sighed, turning back toward the doorway. '(Name)...'

In the twins' room, (Name) had changed out of her gi and put on her pajamas. She didn't plan on going back downstairs today. A million thoughts and feelings swirled through her head as she plopped down on her bed, staring off into space. 

"We will be rooting for you."

"Shampoo proud."

"Good luck."

'If I knew I would fail anyway, I wouldn't have even bothered everyone. I wasted their time, and I let them down...' (Name) sniffled, feeling tears build up again. She pulled her knees up to her chest and tried to blink them away. She couldn't help but feel like a failure. She had trained so hard, done so much to prepare, and it wasn't enough.

"You should have just let me do it!"

"(Name)'s not strong enough for a dojo destroyer! She could get hurt!"

Her lip trembled as she thought bitterly, 'They were right. Why didn't I listen?!' (Name) flopped down on the bed, squeezing the bunny plushie Ranma had won for her from the fair. She shoved her face into the plushie and cried.

"No one wants to marry a burden."

'It doesn't matter since... No, it does matter! What's everyone going to think now that they know I can't defend the dojo?' (Name) held back a few sobs. 'Papa might even give Ranma over to Kasumi or Nabiki. What if he breaks off the engagement altogether? Ranma will... Ranma will leave and marry someone else.'

She imagined Ukyo and Rida tugging on Ranma's arms, trying to pull him over to their sides. Then, she thought about Ranma. Would he really go off and marry some other girl? What reason did he have to stay if not to carry on the Anything Goes School of Martial Arts? He would probably just request to marry one of the other Tendo daughters in order to keep that birthright.

"I'm perfectly happy with the fiance I have!" "I meant what I said... I still do."

(Name)'s eyes watered again. She shook her head and tried to calm down. All of this crying was going to make her sick. Just then, she heard someone knocking on the door. She lifted her head a bit and looked at the door, not making any moves to answer it yet.

"(Name)?" It was Kasumi. "I-I understand if you don't want to talk about what happened, or if you want to be alone, but I'd really like to treat your bruises as soon as possible. I can wait until later to talk, but I can't wait for this. Please."

The young girl slowly got up and opened the door. She looked at her eldest sister and whispered, "We can talk... I'd really like to talk now if it's alright."

Kasumi smiled warmly at her, gently rubbing her thumb over (Name)'s cheek. "Of course."