39 - Persistence! Confidence!

Shampoo took a deep breath before turning to (Name) with a smile. "Shampoo teach you Amazon persistence for dojo fight."

"Amazon persistence?"

She nodded. "Fight on without stop! You no quit til you win!" Then, she beckoned the girl toward her as she got into a battle stance. "Now, show Shampoo how you hit. Aim for shoulder."

(Name) nodded. "Right." She took a small breath before running toward Shampoo and punching her in the shoulder. She pursed her lips as she lowered her fists. "T-that didn't hurt, did it?"

Shampoo's face became hard and serious. "No put down fists! Stay focused!" (Name) flinched and got back into her previous stance, not expecting the Amazon to change gears so quickly. Shampoo nodded in approval at her. "Treat Shampoo like enemy. Attack full force!"

"Okay!" (Name) threw another hit, but Shampoo dodged it by jumping backward. The Tendo girl stumbled to stay balanced and advanced again. She swung again but missed. A small, annoyed growl escaped her as she swung harder. However, she only succeeded in throwing herself to the ground with the force of her hit. 

Shampoo knelt down beside her and watched (Name) slowly lift her face out of the dirt. "Key is swing fast, no hard. Many light hits do same as few heavy ones."

(Name) wiped the dirt off her face as she got to her feet. She nodded. "Sure. Okay. Let's do it again."

"Remember, no quit til you win!"

The two girls practiced for a few hours straight. (Name) was beginning to get the hang of keeping her balance while trying to attack. She switched between attacking with her hands and feet once she had a good handle on being faster over stronger. 

When they took a break, Shampoo grinned happily at her friend. "Shampoo proud. (Name) fast learner."

(Name) smiled back. "Oh, thanks!"

Just then, there was a knock at the front door. The girls waited as Kasumi went to see how it was. "Shampoo! Kuno is here to walk you home!"

(Name) pouted. "What? We were just getting started. Ask him if you can stay a little longer, Shampoo, please!" She begged.

"That funny. Shampoo no remember Kuno walking her home today." Shampoo got up and ran to the front door. She grabbed her boyfriend's hand and drug him back toward the garden where she and (Name) were training. "Tachi, Shampoo and (Name) no finish training yet. You sit and wait, okay?"

Kuno sat down where Shampoo told him and crossed his arms. "Very well. But, I did promise your great-grandmother that I would bring you back before it got too late."

The blue-haired girl smiled and nodded. "Okay. We train just a while more, then." She turned to (Name) and got into position. "This time, Shampoo advance."

She nodded. Shampoo ran toward her, and she blocked the hit with her arm. Then, (Name) swung her foot out, just missing Shampoo's side. She reeled her arm back and grabbed onto Shampoo's chest armor. Then, she somersaulted and threw her toward the fence.

Shampoo drug her feet into the ground, slowing herself to a stop. Then, she ran toward (Name) with a battle shout. The Tendo twin shouted in turn and ran to meet Shampoo halfway. However, Shampoo was moving too fast for her to get a hit in, so she focused on blocking and keeping herself on her feet.

Her arms began to feel sore, so she dropped to the ground, balancing on her hands, and wrapped her legs around Shampoo's waist. This confused both her and Kuno, which gave (Name) an opening. She flipped Shampoo on her back and straddled her waist as she explained, "Timeout, my arms hurt."

"There no be timeout in dojo fight." Shampoo crossed her arms and looked up at the girl above her. "You fight through pain."

"I know, I know..."

Kuno blinked as he stared at the two girls and how comfortable they were being in such a strange position with each other. He cleared his throat, getting their attention. "If I may interrupt, I'd like to offer you some advice for your upcoming battle, (Name) Tendo."

(Name) stood up, helped Shampoo to her feet, and went over to Kuno. "What is it?"

"As you fight, you must repeat this mantra: I am the greatest, and I will succeed."

"... Really?"

Tatewaki nodded, "Yes. Don't be afraid to butter yourself up a bit. Confidence is key."

(Name) narrowed her eyes at him as she asked, "Don't people usually say 'the meek shall inherit?'"

He smirked. "The meek shall inherit, but the confident get by. Now, repeat after me. I am the greatest."

She frowned at him before mumbling, "I am the greatest."

"I will succeed."

"I will succeed."

Kuno smiled at her. "Good. Now that you've said it, you must believe in it."

(Name) rolled her eyes a bit. "That's not how it works, Kuno." She sat down next to him, resting her chin on her hands. "It's not enough to just believe in myself; I have to have the skills to back it up. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of talk."

He shrugged. "That may be, but what is talk if not predetermined actions? If I were to tell you that I'm going to strike at you from the left, wouldn't you expect that?"

(Name) thought about it a bit. "I guess so."

"So, it's the same principle. Tell yourself that you will win, and it will happen."

(Name) stared at the ground for a moment before she stood up with a grin. "Okay. I guess I see what you mean. Okay!" She ran over to Shampoo and got ready to spar again. "Let's try it." 

They fought again, but this time, (Name) repeated in her head, 'I am the greatest, I will succeed,' just as Kuno had told her. As silly as it felt to talk herself up that way, it actually helped her a bit. By the end, she felt like she could actually win the real challenge fight. 

(Name) smiled gratefully at Shampoo and Kuno. "Thanks, you two. I really appreciate your help."

"No problem." Shampoo grinned.

Kuno nodded at her as the two turned to leave. "We will be rooting for you."

She waved at them as they left down the road. "Thanks." (Name) crossed her arms as she slowly went back inside. She nodded to herself and thought, 'Yeah... I will succeed!'