Chapter 1 - A Study in Pink

~~~

A women with long, wavy, golden hair sits with her guitar and notebook, playing, singing, and writing down her songs as she goes.

Suddenly, in the middle of writing a phrase, the women's phone rings. The blonde sets her pen and book down and grabs her phone from beside her.

"Hello," She says answering the phone.

"Hello, is this Katherine Moore?" A man on the other end of the phone line asks when she answers. 

"Yes, it is." The blonde women replies to the man. "But, you can just call me Kat. May I ask who is speaking?" She questions lifting the guitar strap over her head and setting down her guitar against the bed in the hotel she is temporarily staying at.

"Well, Kat, this is Detective Inspector Greg Lestrade, from Scotland Yard, and I'm just calling in regards to your job application."

"Oh, yeah?" Kat replies excitedly. "That was really quick. All good things I hope." The detective inspector gives a small laugh and Kat joins in.

"Yeah, in fact we are in desperate need of a new detective and yours was the first application. We were also really impressed to see that you are qualified for both criminal investigation and undercover work. Really qualified, might I add." The detective explains. "We would love for you to work here."

"I'm really flattered." Kat replies. "Truly."

"And, for a little extra incentive, not that you'll need it I hope, however, because you'll basically be working two jobs, it will be double the pay." Lestrade adds. 

"Oh wow, that sounds really amazing." She gushes excitedly.

"So, are you up for the challenge?" Lestrade asks. "We are really desperate."

"Of course, I would love to!" The blonde smiles excitedly. 

"Well, in that case," Detective Inspector Lestrade starts. "Welcome to Scotland Yard."

"Thank you so much, Detective." Kat thanks him. 

"Please, call me Greg."

"Greg, okay."

"And we have a weird new case, did you read about those two suicides? Are you able to come in today?"

"Yeah, I'm not doing anything, I can head out now. And the suicides? The ones in the paper about those two people eating those pills?" Kat clarifies grabbing her coat from on top of a few boxes. She is currently staying in a hotel until she can move into her new flat in central London in a few days. "What's so weird about them?"

"Well, we've just had a third, Beth Davenport, she was a Junior Minister for Transport and was found last night in Greater London on a building site. She took the exact same poison as the other two people."

"What was a Junior Minister for Transport doing on a building site?" Kat asks slightly confused while getting into the taxi. "Scotland Yard, please." She adds to the driver.

"That's what we're hoping you can help us figure out." Greg tells her. "We are having a press conference soon and I'm hoping you'll join us, you know, get a feel of the situation. They are letting you be in charge of the case with me in order for them to get a feel of what you can really do."

"Of course. I am on my way there now." 

"Great, I'll catch you up on everything when you get here."

"Alright, Greg, I'll see you then." Kat replies hanging up the phone and leaning back in her seat. 

~~~

"How's your blog going?" A dark skinned, middle aged woman asks a short grey haired man as they sit across from each other. The man is currently leaned back in his chair his right hand clutching a cane by his side while his left hand tremors slightly in his lap. Despite his position, the man is quite uncomfortable. 

"Yeah, good." He pauses taking a deep breath and clears his throat. "Very good." He lies sitting up lightly.

"You haven't written a word, have you?" The woman calls him out. John, slightly embarrassed, choses to say nothing as she writes a quick note down on her paper. 

"You just wrote 'still has trust issues.' " The man, John Watson, comments annoyed reading her note. 

The women pauses trying to decide how to answer that comment. "And you read my writing upside down." His therapist fires back lightly. "You see what I mean? John, you're a soldier, and it's going to take you a while to adjust to civilian life, and writing a blog about everything that happens to you will honestly help you."

John sighs shaking his head looking around the dull room slowly, his voice breaking slightly. "Nothing happens to me." 

~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this chapter and my story and you want to help me write more, please donate to any or all of the links below or you can find them in my BIO! Thank you! Love you muchly, Kisses -K

BuyMeACoffee - buymeacoffee.com/Immortality4646
LiberaPay - https://en.liberapay.com/Immortality4646/
Ko-Fi - https://ko-fi.com/immortality4646